Opinions wanted: Audi Content

As some of you know I am trying to sell the C5 to move onto another platform that is a little more practical but still fun.

I have looked at a LOT of different types of cars that I can drive year around, Evo’s, Sti’s, BMW Xi’s, etc etc.

I went and looked at a 2005 B6 Audi S4 with the 4.2 V8 and I fell in love. I am currently looking at a couple of them as I have no interest in any of the other cars mentioned after being in the S4.

So anybody here have any experience in the B6 S4 territory or any advice on the car? Thanks.

The 4.2 engine is solid, but with any Audi get some sort of warranty.

4.2 is a timing chain engine in the S4. so when the chains need to be done, prepare for alot of work. the chains are on the backside of the engine, its common that engine is removed for this job.

dont say i didnt warn you.

Audi ftw. Do it.

Thanks for the heads up. I will make it a point when I purchase to make sure the chain is up to date.

i thought this was only on the d1 s4? i’m not sure though…

a friend of mine had a 4.2 b6 s4 with bolt-ons and at around 100k thing was smokin and burning ALOT of oil… he then dumped it and got a white tt-s

Keep Vette, purchase cheap/reliable daily. Done!

d1?? thats an A8 chassis code. they are belts because of the longer nose of the A8. to fit the 4.2 in the B6 chassis they had to further compact the engine by eliminating the belt timing/ internal cam driven chain setup,and go to a full chain system. its pretty complex. im not 100% on the interval but when they start going you know because you can hear it, much like the VR6 engines where the guides wear/break and you get a clacking noise.

Co worker has a b6 s4, 2005 model I believe.

His has about 60k on it and it appears he is usually getting this, that, or the other warning light. His car seems to drive fine and all but it does spend a fair bit of time at Langan getting diagnosed, like every few months… If you are anal retentive about small stuff a used one could drive you nuts.

Also, engine bay is super tight, complex cooling with like 2 aux radiators or something like that. Not easy to work on it seems. Or maybe the entire front comes off?

Last thing, my colleague’s car went in for simple thermostat replacement but since the thing was integrated with the water pump it was costly.

Wow, fuck working on/maintaining Audis, lol. Toyota dailys FTW!

Spec sheet seems like it’d be tons of fun but those cars are pretty soulless to drive. $.02.

I don’t know if it’s the same direct injected 4.2 as in the RS4/R8 but I know they hve a ton of carbon buildup issues in the cylinder heads. I found that out when I was shopping for each of those cars.

Lots of good information in here. Thanks guys. I think I will also hit up the Audi forums and see what they have to say as well.

No prob!

B6 S4 is not a DI engine. standard efi.

Google is showing quite a few Audi Forums, any suggestions on which is better than the others?

audizine.com or fourtitude.com via VWVortex. search heavily on the sites though, and read the FAQs before making a “hey im new and want this car, tell me about it” thread

Ah ok, I didn’t know which year they switched over.

That carbon buildup issue is one of the reasons I’m not driving an RS4 right meow.

ehhh just romp on it, will be as clean as a whistle.

or run some seafoam through it every once in a while.