Audi a4/s4 review

I really wanted to look into these cars as my next purchase. I have a 92 talon awd right now with some mods, so this car would be a huge upgrade for me. I have been looking at the early s4’s like 2000 and 2001 which arent badly priced. I was just curious if these are reliable cars, any useful input is appreciated. thanks, and yes i see emery is selling one but im looking for a car around spring time

B5 S4… Reliable… HA

If you think your DSM is bad… you really don’t want to do that.

DSM and S4 reliability is about the same

however DSM fixes are cheap, S4 fixes are a PITA to located and $$…

that being said, proper maint etc will lessen the amount of failures, but unless you can turn a wrench yourself i woudl stay away

Geez, where do I start?

First off, I currently work on about 9-10 B5S4’s, and another handful of other 2.7T cars (A6/Allroad). I’ve seen just about everything that can go wrong with them.

First thing you need to know is history. These cars can take a fair amount of abuse, but every car has their limits (other than old Volvo 240s. I’d drive mine throgh Kosovo with a big target painted on the door and not worry).

If you’re looking at an 00-01, then it’s likely going to have 60k+ miles on it. With this assumption, find out if the belt/pump/tensioners have been done. If not, expect to pay a grand at my shop to do it all (including all seals, rollers, belt, stat, and everything else from the front of the block forward).

If it has oil leaks showing up on top of the exhaust manifolds, expect to pay $550 to do valve cover and chain tensioner gaskets. (the dealer will charge about $1200)

If there’s a lot of play in the drivetrain, you’re needing motor/trans/snub mount. This will run about $900 to replace all mounts with upgraded RS4 stuff, including a poly snub mount

A clutch job using RS4 parts will run $1250. Add another $150 for rear main seal. Add another $200 for a resurfaced and balanced flywheel.

A chip will cost $585 + any switching options

Oxygen sensors are abut $190 each, and are a pain to replace

Instrument cluster will run somewhere in the $800 range. Check for dead pixels in the driver’s info. display in the center of the cluster. Only way to fix those is to replace the cluster (and it needs to be coded and adapted to the car using factory-level diagnostic software)

That’s all just off the top of my head. However, they’re still damn nice cars if treated properly, and you can drive them all year 'round with proper tires.

You should be able to find on between 10-12k, but expect do spend another 2k right off the bat, since something in the above list will be needed.

I think both DSMs and S4s are victim of a bad reputation because most people don’t do the required maintenance.

I’ve seen the Evo schedule, and it’s rediculous, but needed. How many guys change the Diff fluid every 15K under heavy use? How about the belts, hoses, all that stuff. I’m sure the regular DSMs didn’t get that kinda love, especially the higher mileage cars that really needed it. Then add some more power to it…

X…

… you guys are killing my dreams :frowning: can u maybe recommend some other cars in the same price range, same kind of car, i cant think of any. I love audi’s though. I can still use some input on the audi though

5 series?

X…

I wasn’t thorough enough?

How about, if you destroy one turbo, it’s time to replace both of them. This requires removing the engine. If you step up to K04’s or better, expect to spend between $2050-$2400 on turbos alone. Expect to spend half of that again on labor.

My recommendation: buy a low-mile '01-'02 that has never been modded in any way. For an under 60k mile car, spend up to 15 grand (01) or up to 17.5 (02), and don’t be dumb with your own mods, and the car will treat you right…until one of the 8 front control arms start squeaking or rattling.

buy a taurus, with leather for the luxury effect

I know what your saying and i do have a dsm and im sick of small stuff/ stupid stuff going bad, but i love the car im sorry, i guess im stubborn. I modded my talon and im done with modding… for now, i probably wouldnt touch it in anyway (at most an exhaust and intake) Thanks for the input though bracketracer, i do appreciate it

Buy a B5 A4 - like a 2001.5.

upgrade some stuff

change your timing belt, control arms.

Be happy.

:slight_smile: now thats a great response lol. Thats all i really want is just a nice car. but bracketracer, as long as the car is in good condition, not modded, driven by old people (i hope) is it really a bad car? i know u have just listed bad things but i like to hear good things too because i have love at first site.

there is a bone stock 01 S4 with only 35K, STICK, silver on audizine for $17k

if it’s unmolested in any way, then it’s a good deal.

Oh…and FWIW, don’t do an intake, not even K&N. Chip, exhaust and be done with it.

Just buy a stock nice a4, with under 80k for $6-10k. Replace the timing belt, water pump, add hard pipes, a divertor valve, n75 valve, downpipe, full exhaust, k04 with chip and run 13’s in style!

FYI, i was able to salvage an audi S4 dash with dead pixels by cleaning the hell out of all the contacts with metal contact cleaner. i spent about 2 hours on it, but it came back to life 100%

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162198

It is 100% bone stock, its actually $18.5k not $17K

GTI =)

gti’s are gay… not even in the same class as an S4 get the fuck outta here! :rofl: