Audi a4/s4 review

ugh the misinformation in this thread.

viper…you are the worst…

even if modded these cars are hit or miss.

are they hondas? no. but driven responsibly and like xander said, with proper maintenance there are 0 issues.

bracketracer touched on some of them. if you want to get into turbos blowing up it is a matter of asking the turbo to do too much. k03’s are FINE if kept stock, and the car is boost leak free. mind your oil temps and aside from that wail on them all day long, even at high rpm.

you chip it and thats where issues are. chipping the k03’s to a requested boost of 1 bar puts the turbos out of their efficiency range at anyplace above max tq. this is where alot of people fuck up their turbos…asing the turbos to supply air at redline, which is exponentially more effort than what they are capaable of alrady producing at 6200 roms or so…

but that being said you can still have alot of fun with a chipped s4 below redline…you dont make much power ater the efficiency drops off anyways…for obvious reasons (heat being the major factor)

so take care of your tbb, ic end tanks, charge pipes, and your turbos will be happy. never put the car freshly hot or else the oil lines that are too close to the exhaust housing will cook oil and this could damage the bearing…to me thats obvious and should be done with any car.

control arms…i have had 1 go bad in 5 years 60k miles. not a big deal

buy the car with the future turbo upgrade in mind…you will want to do it no matter what, it helps your resale, and you can appreciate the car as it should have been brought here as. when i upgraded to k04’s, i was one of 10 people who did it first. i ran my car with k04’s at stock boost and loved it, it was a great car and trouble free.

until i beat on the transmission. thats my fault though. dont expect a trans thats attached to 3800#'s to deal with hard shifts that put stress on the synchros. if i never had auto-x’ed my car and shifted like an idiot i would prolly have my stock one still in it instead of an rs4 trans.

there. i could go on for hours, and i would love if you didnt buy an s4 because i am getting really tired of seeing them all over now, but truth is they have a bad rap, and are a good car…esp for what you get

[quote=“audios,post:21,topic:40027"”]

ugh the misinformation in this thread.

viper…you are the worst…

even if modded these cars are hit or miss.

are they hondas? no. but driven responsibly and like xander said, with proper maintenance there are 0 issues.

bracketracer touched on some of them. if you want to get into turbos blowing up it is a matter of asking the turbo to do too much. k03’s are FINE if kept stock, and the car is boost leak free. mind your oil temps and aside from that wail on them all day long, even at high rpm.

you chip it and thats where issues are. chipping the k03’s to a requested boost of 1 bar puts the turbos out of their efficiency range at anyplace above max tq. this is where alot of people fuck up their turbos…asing the turbos to supply air at redline, which is exponentially more effort than what they are capaable of alrady producing at 6200 roms or so…

but that being said you can still have alot of fun with a chipped s4 below redline…you dont make much power ater the efficiency drops off anyways…for obvious reasons (heat being the major factor)

so take care of your tbb, ic end tanks, charge pipes, and your turbos will be happy. never put the car freshly hot or else the oil lines that are too close to the exhaust housing will cook oil and this could damage the bearing…to me thats obvious and should be done with any car.

control arms…i have had 1 go bad in 5 years 60k miles. not a big deal

buy the car with the future turbo upgrade in mind…you will want to do it no matter what, it helps your resale, and you can appreciate the car as it should have been brought here as. when i upgraded to k04’s, i was one of 10 people who did it first. i ran my car with k04’s at stock boost and loved it, it was a great car and trouble free.

until i beat on the transmission. thats my fault though. dont expect a trans thats attached to 3800#'s to deal with hard shifts that put stress on the synchros. if i never had auto-x’ed my car and shifted like an idiot i would prolly have my stock one still in it instead of an rs4 trans.

there. i could go on for hours, and i would love if you didnt buy an s4 because i am getting really tired of seeing them all over now, but truth is they have a bad rap, and are a good car…esp for what you get

[/quote]

WTF did i do?

i made a joke then came back to say exactly what you did

that with maintence and proper preventitive repairs/upgrades they are like DSM’s treat them right and they treat you right.

i made the comment that the fixes though are more $$ for comparable parts then a DSM… how is that wrong?

especially if you cant turn a wrench yourself

i wouldnt want to pay labor on all the little fixes

ive often kicked around the idea of a b5 s4. awesome looking and performing cars but imo its just not worth it after all the upkeep. i mean yea if you find a nice one for 17 thats cool but im sure somewhere along the way if you mod it you will need to put another 3k into it if not more. modding this car can be very expensive…

then i had a thought…b6 s4…4.2l v8, can still find them cpo, 340 hp, way nicer interior, no control arm, turbo, cluster probs like the b5’s. come spring im selling both my cars to get into an 04/05 s4 avant. they are just a smooth operator for daily driving and before anyone says it i dont give a shit about the 15-24mpg’s it gets. these can be had for like 27ish with 30-40k on them. personally after driving an sti, r32 and some other competetion (unfortunatly not an e46 m3 they are still getting 35-40k which is a bit out of my range) but regardless i would much rather make this a daily over the competition, its so solid and just a pleasure to drive. it seems real grown up and classy.

anyway good luck with the search…

whats your budget? Ill sell you my s4 around spring time for 10 grand. I spent about 6 grand on it in parts replacing everything that was worn out on it. Definately would of spent over 12 grand if I paid someone to do it. All the expensive maintenance should be done with, and thats what kills you with Audis.

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/2754/9391/103470.jpg

[quote=“XwalkerX,post:23,topic:40027"”]

ive often kicked around the idea of a b5 s4. awesome looking and performing cars but imo its just not worth it after all the upkeep. i mean yea if you find a nice one for 17 thats cool but im sure somewhere along the way if you mod it you will need to put another 3k into it if not more. modding this car can be very expensive…

then i had a thought…b6 s4…4.2l v8, can still find them cpo, 340 hp, way nicer interior, no control arm, turbo, cluster probs like the b5’s. come spring im selling both my cars to get into an 04/05 s4 avant. they are just a smooth operator for daily driving and before anyone says it i dont give a shit about the 15-24mpg’s it gets. these can be had for like 27ish with 30-40k on them. personally after driving an sti, r32 and some other competetion (unfortunatly not an e46 m3 they are still getting 35-40k which is a bit out of my range) but regardless i would much rather make this a daily over the competition, its so solid and just a pleasure to drive. it seems real grown up and classy.

anyway good luck with the search…

[/quote]

if you want to drive the m3 shoot me a PM and ill letcha take my car out for a drive… its SMG though

if you can deal with high milage

Buy this B6 S4, Black on Black 6 speed with 80k for only $20K, its a smoking deal.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173890
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p175/dnyf21/cars013.jpg

Walker, you can score an e46 m3 for under $30k with under 50k miles

i was hoping my budget would be around 12 g’s. poopra, what year is that? and thanks for the info guys, i know i said this before but i just really want a nice comfortable sporty car. i will have no money after for mods or for a while after. thanks for all the input guys, if anyone will be interested soon i have a 92 talon awd :slight_smile: no rust at all, just need some body work

[quote=“carl5463729,post:27,topic:40027"”]

i was hoping my budget would be around 12 g’s. poopra, what year is that? and thanks for the info guys, i know i said this before but i just really want a nice comfortable sporty car. i will have no money after for mods or for a while after. thanks for all the input guys, if anyone will be interested soon i have a 92 talon awd :slight_smile: no rust at all, just need some body work

[/quote]

if you ahve no money for mods, do you have $$ for upkeep? why not just get a 1.8t audi and put the rest into paying off debt

mods $ is usually greater then upkeep. atleast that was very true for the talon. i did most of my own work, but nothing major ever went wrong. I can do most basic things, in my talon, i did in order, turbo swap, full exhaust, full suspension, cam lifters, half shaft, and speakers, and then i ended in an engine swap. so i have decent mechanic experiance and my neighbor owns his own repair shop and he usually helps me when im in need. i was thinking the a4, i like both but the s4 is so much hotter

gotta pay to play :ohyeah::banghead:

[quote=“XwalkerX,post:30,topic:40027"”]

gotta pay to play :ohyeah::banghead:

[/quote]

:word:
“It aint cheap to be cool”

Buy a Civic if you want something reliable.

[quote=“carl5463729,post:27,topic:40027"”]

[/quote]

For 12 grand your probably going to get a car that needs alot of rehab to be a reliable daily driver. It always better to find a car that needs no work, than to try and do it all yourself, even when you can do it yourself. Save up another 5 grand and get a cherry b5 s4 if thats what you want. Mine is a 94 Urs4.

^ how many miles are you your s4?

right now it has 113k

if you are looking to spend 12k a b5 s4 is not for you.

and viper i am not angry with you :slight_smile: i dont take offense to people calling b5 s4 piles. but i swear everytime b5 audis come up you are first in the thread calling out unreliable when it is only half true. why dont you stfu and go on your bmw forums…ok ok now i’m done, i am seriously not angry. you fuck. ok done

[quote=“audios,post:35,topic:40027"”]

if you are looking to spend 12k a b5 s4 is not for you.

and viper i am not angry with you :slight_smile: i dont take offense to people calling b5 s4 piles. but i swear everytime b5 audis come up you are first in the thread calling out unreliable when it is only half true. why dont you stfu and go on your bmw forums…ok ok now i’m done, i am seriously not angry. you fuck. ok done

[/quote]

im just bitter cuz i couldnt justify buying on myself after you talked me out of buying one and modding it @ indy…

now you guys arent making me feel so good about it :frowning: what about just the a4? does this have as many problems as the s4, i definetely would want black leather interior, and manual. any opinions on that?

http://nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40658

Buy it

Get a 2.8 V6 A4 and you will be very content. I loved mine for a daily and it had 160k on it. Original clutch. Just watch the miles and check for a Tbelt and Control arm service.

The only things I can add to bracketracer and audios’ posts is that the B5 S4 has gotten a bad rep because of a lot of people who try and do work themselves but end up causing more problems.

See: frimmel on Audizine