[quote=“93dx–hatch,post:38,topic:40027"”]

http://nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40658

Buy it

[/quote]

best idea yet :tup:

[quote=“audios,post:21,topic:40027"”]

ugh the misinformation in this thread.

viper…you are the worst…

even if modded these cars are hit or miss.

are they hondas? no. but driven responsibly and like xander said, with proper maintenance there are 0 issues.

bracketracer touched on some of them. if you want to get into turbos blowing up it is a matter of asking the turbo to do too much. k03’s are FINE if kept stock, and the car is boost leak free. mind your oil temps and aside from that wail on them all day long, even at high rpm.

you chip it and thats where issues are. chipping the k03’s to a requested boost of 1 bar puts the turbos out of their efficiency range at anyplace above max tq. this is where alot of people fuck up their turbos…asing the turbos to supply air at redline, which is exponentially more effort than what they are capaable of alrady producing at 6200 roms or so…

but that being said you can still have alot of fun with a chipped s4 below redline…you dont make much power ater the efficiency drops off anyways…for obvious reasons (heat being the major factor)

so take care of your tbb, ic end tanks, charge pipes, and your turbos will be happy. never put the car freshly hot or else the oil lines that are too close to the exhaust housing will cook oil and this could damage the bearing…to me thats obvious and should be done with any car.

control arms…i have had 1 go bad in 5 years 60k miles. not a big deal

buy the car with the future turbo upgrade in mind…you will want to do it no matter what, it helps your resale, and you can appreciate the car as it should have been brought here as. when i upgraded to k04’s, i was one of 10 people who did it first. i ran my car with k04’s at stock boost and loved it, it was a great car and trouble free.

until i beat on the transmission. thats my fault though. dont expect a trans thats attached to 3800#'s to deal with hard shifts that put stress on the synchros. if i never had auto-x’ed my car and shifted like an idiot i would prolly have my stock one still in it instead of an rs4 trans.

there. i could go on for hours, and i would love if you didnt buy an s4 because i am getting really tired of seeing them all over now, but truth is they have a bad rap, and are a good car…esp for what you get

[/quote]

actually the ko3 are efficient until 15psi @ 6500rpm…

ko3s are until 17psi at 7200rpm…

EDIT:apr’s 93 flash spikes at 18psi, drops to 1bar (14.7psi) then after 6250 drops again to a safe 12psi making them efficant until redline… my tweek is holding the waistgate closed just enough until 7000 @ 15psi therefore having a flat torque line until redline (not destroying turbo)

now that doesn’t mean there making the same torque as they were at say 4000rpm but they are not blowing hot air until these points…

ko4 = ko3s with a slightly larger compressor and half the blades =)

I need to upload my dyno sheet… 225hp @ 6950 and 259 pound feet @ 5000 rpm (using apr’s platform and my tweeking) on my colleges mustang dyno. (Ohio tech) with a ambient temp of 68 f. in 4 gear. (almost 1 to 1)

if left stooooky the s4 will be ok in terms of engine wear and tear, but the b5 suspension is way too over done for the roads of the us, therefor they are renowned for there control arms etc.

the get a GTI was a joke, there not really in the same class at all, but the little snails on there are not that bad =)…

but listen to bracketracer for he is the most knowledgeable on this topic…

:picard:

[quote=“93dx–hatch,post:26,topic:40027"”]

if you can deal with high milage

Buy this B6 S4, Black on Black 6 speed with 80k for only $20K, its a smoking deal.

Walker, you can score an e46 m3 for under $30k with under 50k miles

[/quote]

PURE SEX ON WHEELS =) i love it

[quote=“Viper966,post:17,topic:40027"”]

FYI, i was able to salvage an audi S4 dash with dead pixels by cleaning the hell out of all the contacts with metal contact cleaner. i spent about 2 hours on it, but it came back to life 100%

[/quote]

For Hire?

[quote=“01AudiS4,post:45,topic:40027"”]

For Hire?

[/quote]

how bad is yours?

got pics?

[quote=“VANDIT,post:42,topic:40027"”]

actually the ko3 are efficient until 15psi @ 6500rpm…

ko3s are until 17psi at 7200rpm…

EDIT:apr’s 93 flash spikes at 18psi, drops to 1bar (14.7psi) then after 6250 drops again to a safe 12psi making them efficant until redline… my tweek is holding the waistgate closed just enough until 7000 @ 15psi therefore having a flat torque line until redline (not destroying turbo)

now that doesn’t mean there making the same torque as they were at say 4000rpm but they are not blowing hot air until these points…

ko4 = ko3s with a slightly larger compressor and half the blades =)

[/quote]

um, did you just repeat what i said?

[quote=“audios,post:47,topic:40027"”]

um, did you just repeat what i said?

[/quote]

lol, now that read it again, I did kinda =) lol

ohh well…

=)

I was a little :burnin::wiggle::word: :smiley:

a4…:tup: i wanted one for a long time…

defintely a b5 a4 with the 2.8 v6 carl

I drove a couple customers cars with ~165k miles they were like new

if your for hire let me know. i can pm you pics. stupid dash is annoying i usually have to shut it off.

[quote=“Viper966,post:46,topic:40027"”]

how bad is yours?

got pics?

[/quote]

[quote=“Jim1234664,post:50,topic:40027"”]

defintely a b5 a4 with the 2.8 v6 carl

I drove a couple customers cars with ~165k miles they were like new

[/quote]

That 2.8 is a great engine, I love it for a DD, but by all means it’s no sports car.

X…

I love my car, but I am way to lazy to write up a page long review on it. As with any car they are very reliable in stock form if not often beat on, but as you drive them harder and mod them they lose reliability.

[quote=“AKasprzyk,post:51,topic:40027"”]

if your for hire let me know. i can pm you pics. stupid dash is annoying i usually have to shut it off.

[/quote]

i honestly feel i may have gotten lucky on the last one, but if your dash looks the same way his does then you may be able to save it…

I have a 2000 A4 1.8T Avant. I was looking for S4 Avants but when I was looking back in 04, they were still getting real good money for used S4’s. Dumb luck was how I found my A4 locally, and I could not be happier with the car. I bought it with 52K miles through Autohaus back on Valentines Day 05 and currently it has 102K miles on it, and it was basically parked all last summer as it needed to have the control arms done and I did not have the time to do them. To date I have done timing belt and all the related goodies, water pump, tensior, etc etc, rear pads and rotors, front pads and rotors, complete control arm kit, Bilstein struts, H+R Springs, and 4 wheel bearings. The wheel bearings were more of a preventative item in the rear, figured what the hell, get to use my press, why not. I forgot, I also did the DP also. While the list may seem long to some, it really is not that much considering how well the car gets it done year round and how nice it is “overall.” I find it the perfect blend of comfort and utility. Not as luxo as a Caddy, and not as big as a SUV. The 1.8T engine, not my first choice, I wanted the 2.8V6 with a 5spd in the wagon but when i was looking for one, the only 2.8’s were autos. About a week after I bought mine, about 5 popped up just how I wanted them:mad: I decided to go with the A4 over the S4 as the A4 was alot cheaper to insure, better on gas, and less up keep then the S4. The 1.8T engine also has it’s own set of issues, sludge problem, coil packs, etc etc. But, I have been looking into grabbing a B5 S4 as they are now in the teens for a nice example. I will close this by saying that 95% of people who say an S4 is a nightmare have no idea/experience in dealing with them first hand. If you can find one under 60k with a nice service history for a good price, grab it. No better year round car for WNY then a B5 S4.

[quote=“Quattro Krant,post:55,topic:40027"”]

I will close this by saying that 95% of people who say an S4 is a nightmare have no idea/experience in dealing with them first hand. If you can find one under 60k with a nice service history for a good price, grab it. No better year round car for WNY then a B5 S4.

[/quote]

Yay for being in that elite 5% bracket!

And I also agree with your last statement.

Thanks everyone for the help. Im probably gonna be looking for a 2000-2002 a4 in early winter/spring. Thanks for leading me in the right direction :slight_smile:

[quote=“bracketracer,post:56,topic:40027"”]

Yay for being in that elite 5% bracket!

And I also agree with your last statement.

[/quote]

Yes, when it comes from someone such as you or Squid, I beleive it. But 95% of people fall into the category I like to refer to as internet parrots.

B5 A4 = gutless. I could never be happy with one.