Audi A4/S4 People Looking for Advice

So I am beginning my search for a new vehicle…I am pretty set on an A4 or S4…obv S4 is prefereed but it would have to be of an olderish…05 model…I am looking generally at 05-up Quattro, Manual Trans, etc…Now I know there are a couple different options when it comes to motors on the A4…1.8t, 2.0t pending year and the 2.8 or 3.0 V-6 right yes no maybe. My real dilemma is motor choice. I have driving a new GTI with the 2.0t, I like it if feels damn peppy but is it still nice and peppy in the heavier A4 or is the 6 cyl. def a better choice. I would like to assume the 1.8t/2.0t has the better aftermarket but I just dont know for sure. Any advice suggestions and things to look for would be appreciated on both the A4 and S4s Please and thank you.

I am just looking right now not ready to buy as of yet but just gettting a feel for what to look for in the car itself…I know there is a gorgeous one for sale here

S4 is an awesome car, I’m sure walker will chime in. But when it comes to mods they get real expensive real quick for not huge gains. A supercharger kit runs 10k+. If you’re not gonna mod it they are awesome, just pigs on gas. Also make sure to get one with a post 10/2004 build date. They had some issues in the early motors. But by now most should be fixed.

2.0t is also a great motor in the a4, I feel bumping up to the v6 is t worth it, heavier worse on gas and not that much faster. I would look for a b7 with a 2.0t. Again idk if you are a car moddig person but a ecu flash on a 2.0t will yeild more power than a stock v6. And stuff like big turbo upgrads on 2.0t’s can easily make s4 power.

It all depends on what you want to do with the car. I say s4 or a 2.0t A4. If you want a quick DD and not mod it get an s4, if you want to mod it and make s4 power and have a much larger/slightly less expensive aftermarket selection go A4. If it were me, as much as I love S4’s I would likely end up with an A4 and spend the money I saved making it faster than an S4

I would say check out audizine, browse around to get and idea of what you want.

I got a 05 3.0 USP over the winter for the wife on ebay which I am very happy with.

i really only plan on doing maybe suspension and like exhaust mods maybe other minor stuff…if i were to get an s4 i would prolly just leave it stock with some wheels…i would prefer the v6 turbo versions of the S4 but those are older and the whole point of a new car is to be newer…I have seen some really nice 2.0t versions…in my searches i find they seem to be more common as well.

Spencer…were you on the 90 west bound yesterday near Rochester/Batavia round 5 in the supra…if not then I saw a black Supra with nice Front mount and shiny wheels and thought of you

A b6/b7 s4 with exhaust is certainly a reasonable daily. There’s not much to go wrong at all, unlike the b5 s4 which was a disaster for reliablility.

They’re SUPER slow. Unimaginably slow. But they sure are nice.

Note to self…stay away from B5 S4s…thanks…I just joined Audizine and poking around now Thanks

Ha I only had the supra out once this yr to take to the BBQ last wk so it wasnt me.

i just picked up a b6 s4 …i fell in love with it

Me and my wife were looking at A4/S4 last year…

we decieded to go with a tuned A4 2.0T over a S4… she gets great MPG in her car (~30) and her car still put down > 300lb feet of torque and 285 WHP…

is it just an ECU tune…cause that sounds lovely…

A basic ecu flash gives you about 260ish at the crank. Some other mods will yeild more :slight_smile:

She has exhaust, test pipe, hpfp, fmic, carbonio, and revo hpfp file

dyno was 246WHP/310TQ

thats prolly about the extent of the mods I would do…BTW how does the exhaust sound

FYI this one that i was oogling over on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-A4-2-0T-QUATTRO-BOSE-XENONS-SIRIUS-6-SPEED-MANUAL-/200469630328?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2eacebcd78

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-AUDI-A4-4-1-8T-TURBO-QUATTRO-6-SPEED-ROOF-BOSE-/200465709817?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2eacaffaf9

Her exhaust is nice… really deep… its a bosal i think… some german brand not made anymore i guess…

I would get a B7… you get the 2.0T DI in those… more torque

I am still getting to know these cars…but in 2005 did they split b6 and b7 that year…i see some with the 1.8t and some with 2.0t

I think you’d be crazy to pick one over a similar aged and priced BMW 3 series having driven both… make sure you try both out before you buy. plenty of good deals on cars like a 2006 330.

random quick example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pristine-Condition-BMW-330-Six-Speed-Manaual-Trans-/170481076008?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item27b176c728

i have driven a newer 3 series…although it is a fabulous car…i like the looks and layout of the Audi more…The wife is gettting a 3 series though lol

Yes, 2005.5 split the B6/B7

Obviously the 2005.5 B7 is a better value

Uh, not exactly. 2005 B6s have FAR less “issues”. B7s made in 2005.5 fashion have loads of problems.

http://thegurglingcod.typepad.com/thegurglingcod/images/2008/02/12/the_more_you_know2.jpg

I had no idea… i never really saw anything differant on the forums… but we ended up with an 06