B6 S4(4.2L v8) Vs. B7 A4 (2.0T)

My friend is looking for advice on were to spend $18,000.

He loves Audi’s. I don’t know why, but he does. He has it narrowed down between the V8 S4, and the newer 2.0T A4.

I know stock for stock, the S4 is a quicker car. But the A4 with a chip shouldn’t be all that far behind. I hear the interior quality is about the same since the B6 and B7 platforms are very similar.

I told him to go with the B7 2.0T knowing that it gets better gas mileage, is a nicer looking car, and can be upgraded. For his price budget it’s cheaper to get an 06 A4 than it is to get an 04 S4 too from my research.

However, I know there are some people on the forum’s with the 4.2L S4, and I wanna hear your opinions!

From personal experience, what would you guys go with?

Thanks

i would have to go with the A4. i was talking with my buddy that has a problem with euros lol.
he said the S4 can have some expensive maintance. and theres more after market for the A4 if he wants mod it down the road.
the A4 has a stronger block also.

From my personal experience?
Neither.

My grandpa liked his B5 S4 more than his B6 S4.

Not that this helps, but he missed the boost.

The extra little things you get with a B6 S4 is a lot better than the B7 A4. The seats. My God, I love them.

That being said, it would cost a pretty penny to get the A4 up in the same range as the S4, however the S4 is heavier so…

we drove both, and the wife chose the B7 A4 2.0T over a B7 S4…

The A4 is modded with Revo chip/Dual exhaust and some other bits, and put down 284 hp and 300tq… so its pretty quick

but it still gets 33 on teh highway and ~ 25 in the city

The S4 on the other hand is lucky to see >20 from what im told…

They don’t really compare.

There is quite a bit more to an S4 than a bigger engine.

Then again, for $18k you are going to get a pretty beat S4.

60,000 miles doesn’t seem all that beat… But If you insist.

yeah it doesnt have to be beat at all its just that b6 s4 sedan resale prices fucking suck. im so glad i got the avant it held its value soooo much better cause they arent very common.

now with that being said i would go s4. while the prices are dropping now they will level out soon and while both cars are pretty similar however the v8 is so nice to drive and leave stock (well i would encourage you to do exhaust) and those heated recaros are soooooooo nice. i really miss them.

yeah the 2.0t will get better milage and you can mod it to perform just as good as the s4 but if you are comparing them stock for stock i would pick up the s4. hands down.

for what its worth i drove my s4 for 2 years and put about 26k on it and never once had an expensive service issue

May I inquire on to why you sold yours?

a P car

cause he is a fggt and going to buy a vw bug.

I’ll be selling my B7 soon.
~63,xxx miles, I’d be looking to get around 15 for it.
Need to free up burnout money