Possble buy: 2000 Audi S4... Opinions from owners?

yeah its a definate money saver and i will be doing it myself. weve got an pull and all the good garbage… ive done 3 on the KL03… and its a mother ****er and i know joe can vouch for that… the only thing that makes me weary is the AWD, but with a good manual and the support, anything is possible. fah_quad would you be around the area when i undertake? nothing better than someone whos hands on done it before. id appreciate the help, and im sure joeys down to stand around and drink beer and watch. haha joey i got your PM and ill hit you up here when i get in saturday and stop by and show ya…

Just a few pics of it to let you know what its looking like…

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k479/RUGER_04_01/?action=view&current=137_1191.jpg

nice dude!

i just bought one, lee is the audi guy but has a 1.8t which is a different beast, but it is awd… i’ve done a few fwd 1.8t timing belts and they dont’ scare me like this one… i guess i’m lucky my belt was changed 600 miles ago!

black on black is nice! i just got a silver on black… was the car ever chipped? have any mods? any damage or anything needing fixed? under 10K for a clean car would be a good deal… how many miles?

A couple minor comments on the pics… the car has a the correct “older” style S4 badge (2000 - early 2001 models) on the front grille and steering wheel but the newer style S4 badge (2001.5-2002) on the trunk. The mirror covers look good but the pieces on the B-pillars… not so much. Overall the car looks pretty good.

All bits you might want to replace when you do the timing belt.
http://vastperformance.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=55

I’d be glad to lend a hand as well so I can learn the process. The belt/bits were replaced on my S4 about 50k miles ago so I will be due again in a couple years. Joy.

I do drinks the beers well

yeah im too happy with it so far, and i havent even driven it, its gonna be make or break with the amount of buildup im putting on it… the car was never chipped, nor had any mods to it, just replaced all 4 wheel bearings at the audi dealership because he thought he heard them grinding, and turned out he had a damn twig tapping the rim… thats how meticulous he seems to be about it… nothing ever needed fixed… i talked him down to 8500… theres only 88k on it, which is right where it should be…

So he put the rear badge on? Thats fine by me, but makes me wonder if he did anything else, due to him not mentioning that he swapped the badges. What B pillar pieces? the chrome stripping? i was under the impression that it was stock, am i wrong? I checked out that site, and im going to order it tomorrow in prep. Thatd be too cool bud, ill definatly let yall know when the time comes and id definatly appreciate the extra hands and knowledge. Im quite in envy of your fleet, theyre gorgeous man… :bowdown:

looks like a nice buy.

8500 is a good deal… i paid more for an 01.5 with 67k so that makes sense.

the chrome mirrors were an OEM sport package upgrade in 01.5… i don’t think the B pillars were though (yeah, the chrome stuff) maybe a dealer add-on part??? sounds like you are buying off an audi enthusiast, my car came with a binder of paperwork for every time it went to the shop. the previous owner took it in for a squeaky dash and crackling speaker… some people are meticulous.

The mirror covers are indeed part of the sport package available 2000-2002. The package includes aluminum interior trim and leather seats with alcantara inserts. Adding the mirror covers to non-sport package cars is fairly common “mod”.

Useful info.
http://www.audiworld.com/model/s4/00/00-s4.shtml

I should have bought an S4, too.

I have a '02 A6 with the 2.7t engine. 90k miles and no problems so far. Had the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, trans fluid, and alternator replaced a couple thousand miles ago. good luck!

hey, thats Hon at sewickly audi/porsche working on the car in the pic above :slight_smile:

you dont have to drop the engine to do a belt/pump. book pays 8 or 9, if . all tensioners/rollers/ t-stat, water pump get replaced. while you are in there, you also degrease the front of the engine because chances are good it is leaking like a civ from valve cover leaks or oil pan or pressure sending unit. will also need coolant.

you need a lock out tool for the cam gears, as well as cam gear puller to “pop” the cam gears.

to work on the timing belt, you unbolt the front end and let it hang forward like you would on any other audi. the v6 and v8 engines are deffinitely a better engine than the 1.8t. the 1.8t engine is an abortion.

in short, if you never did one or ****ed w/ an audi v6, i would not do it. if you are off a little bit, or the cams spin when the belt is off, you are bending valves. 30 bucks a valve times 30, plus machine shop fees etc etc can turn your diy job into more than the car is worth. pony up the money and pay to have it done. make someone else liable if **** were to go wrong. think of it as buying insurance.

thread jack in progress

hey sailor, are vr6’s prone to valve cover, or worse, leaks? The front of my engine is horrid looking from around the oil filter housing on down but I haven’t put the front end into service mode to check it out. Just kind of wondering if that’s a common problem on them. Maybe I’ll have you check it out when I bring it in to Pete’s for an alignment over christmas.

thread jack over

the oil leak could be nothing more than spilled oil from oil changes. i have not heard or seen the valve covers leaking problematiclly. if anything, aside from the crack pipe vr6’s are work horse engines.

Lol… All I’d be good for is a few cuss words and a “that’s messed up” or two.

I’ve never touched a 2.7t. They scare me. Too much junk in such a little space. I can can get you to service position real fast though. I can have mine torn to service position in about 45 minutes.

I think someone with that car would be better. Like Eric or Sonny. Or someone who knows all of that ish like vw16vcabby

I’m only good for moral support on anything outside of the longitudinal 1.8t. And even then I rely on Sonny.

TB replacement “how to” link…
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng63.shtml

Like Sailor said, timing belt jobs don’t require an engine drop-- just removing the front end. As for the VR6 valve cover gasket-- no, they’re not known for oil leaks.

theres a guy down in beaver county that has a really sweet silver s4… its slammed on some sort of black deep dish wheel… there awesome cars until u have to work on them like everyone else pretty much said… but it looks clean!

What ever you do, don’t skimp on the quality just because it’s cheaper. I don’t know if the 2.7T has the same stupid plastic water pump as the Jetta’s 1.8T, but if it does, get it the hell out of there. It’ like a ticking time bomb. Make sure you have the correct tool to keep those cams parked, because as others have said, it can lead to disaster.

I work on them all the time, make sure you have money for front brakes(cost more than you think) and pull off the top intake cover and look in the valley pan area for coolant. If you see coolant it’s probably the aux water pump, 6hrs labor plus parts. also check cats, bang on them and make sure they don’t rattle. Get the timing belt/water pump replaced if it hasn’t been done. Overall it’s a decent car if it’s well maintained, just expensive to maintain properly, like most German cars. Good luck

Dave stopped by with it the other day…It is very nice,smooth and quiet. we took it for a little romp it pulled well. It does seem to have a few minor issues but def worth the price since the guy knocked it down even more for him.