Questions about purchasing from a stealership.

Was looking into purchasing a newer :snky: car (2002) with about 60k on it from a stealership out of state. And mostly trying to figure out what points/tactics to hit on to get them to knock the price down before I consider driving down. (Ex. visual defects, service history if possible, carfax info)

Only appears to be a minor scuff on the bottom left corner for the front bumper. And a small stain on the driver seat. (The stain might be tough to take care of the but the scuff will be easy shit to fix.) But the price is making it damn attractive.

And also what information to ask for prior to going out and even bothering to take a look at it to maybe get them to knock the price down a bit before I go out. (Not driving 4 hours just to be disapointed.)

I would probably be driving down/trading in my 89 Probe GT as well as putting $1000 or more as a down payment. As I probably couldn’t get anything for the car locally anyways. (Seeing as Walker had enough trouble selling it for $900 for a period of a few weeks)

Carfax is clean with one owner, no accidents/other reported consistancy issues.

Mostly just looking for general advice on what to say/do at the stealership. So any help would be appreciated. :tup:

There is a 99.99999999% they aren’t going to lower the price over the phone.

As far as the scuff or the stain on the seat, they’ll just remind you it’s a used car.

Yeah price is pretty low as it is so I wasn’t counting on it and I’m not picky. Problem is getting them to be honest about the car and not bullshit me into driving 3+ hours each way for a car that might not be in good mechanical condition. Which is impossible to tell from here.

Also about 1500 above KBB value. But about 2500 less than most others that I can find at other dealers.

I would clarify with them your trade in expectations…some places wouldnt even make it worthwhile for you to drive and subsequently trade in your 89. With that said…$ talks so they arent going to quote you any kind of serious price until something is writing, like when you are down there sitting at the table looking at the first sales draft. With you traveling for the car they know you are more likely to pay what they want since you came so far with the sole intention of buying their vehicle and most people will not turn around and go home with nothing. Odds are they will take off a few hundred bux, touch up the bumper and do their best with the seat if it was a deal breaker for you. Good Luck

a pricing report from edmunds.com cut down ~2k from what they were asking when i picked up my car. we just told them we wouldnt pay over that. not sure how well that would work for you though if they are selling for 4k over kbb.

what kind of car huh?

Can’t get them to come down then ask them for freebies. Ask for extra oil filters, belts, brake pads, rotors… :\

Your 89 probe is worth maybe 500 to them at the most. If they say its worth any more they are just lowering the price of their vehiclie. The first rule of buying any car is to negotiate without a hint that you have a trade. Work your price, then bring up a trade to get the true value.

:snky:

The first rule of buying any car is to negotiate without a hint that you have a trade. Work your price, then bring up a trade to get the true value.

That won’t do as much as people think. For the most part you’ll just end up getting less for your trade this way.

Yes! The cost of that stuff is a great way to deflect some of cost of the car. Thats if you can get them to throw it in for “free”.

fuzzzyfish clear ur pm box

when i bought my focus i got them down $1,500 plus new tires, brakes, and full tank of gas. i told them how much i could afford and that if they could put the car in my pricerange i would sign the papers. i still payed less than current bluebook on it. i traded in a garbage 88 beretta for $500 and put down $1700

Consider it cleared sir. :tup:

:snky:

<— feelin it

Should be going to check out the car on friday. With any luck hopefully I won’t be driving a turbo wedge anymore. :tup: