Quick and dumb supercharger question...

I know… I feel like such a noob…

On a cobalt SS…Ion redline…mustang cobra…Those cars have a roots type blower right? Is it possible to intercool a roots type blower? Because I could have swore I saw an Intercooler on a stock mustang SVT. Same with a cobalt.
Agian. I did not take a close look… But the more I think about it…it’s impossible to intercool a roots type blower because the charge air is put right into the top of the motor…and the only type you could intercool is a centrifigal supercharger.
school me quick.

Yes, usually it’s right below the supercharger inside the mainfold SVT Cobras, and a few others have them on top mounted ones.

Uses a water to provide cooling.

^ word to fuzzy

yep I have a water to air intercooler for my M90

that “intercooler” you saw on the mustang was just a larger heat exchanger.

[quote=“greenbull,post:5,topic:30332"”]

[/quote]

thats what any intercooler is.

[quote=“greenbull,post:5,topic:30332"”]

[/quote]

Intercooler AKA: aftercooler or heat exchanger… a heat exchanger takes hot and changes it with cold…pretty sure that’s what an Intercooler does.

On a roots blower the heat exchanger should be after (under) the blower.
Its pretty worthless before.

^It depends where you start to make it before/after. If you start at the supercharger, the direction of the flow will make it after. If you start at the reservoir the heat exchanger will be before the blower.

The direction of flow on the cobras is Reservoir, pump, heat exchanger, intercooler (under the blower), reservoir.

[quote=“bladez,post:9,topic:30332"”]

^It depends where you start to make it before/after. If you start at the supercharger, the direction of the flow will make it after. If you start at the reservoir the heat exchanger will be before the blower.

The direction of flow on the cobras is Reservoir, pump, heat exchanger, intercooler (under the blower), reservoir.

[/quote]

You lost me boss. I left out the intercooler for simplicity. The main charge cooler/heat exchanger in a water/air system should be after the supercharger regardless. Physics says that air heats up as it is compressed. It needs to e cooler after it is compressed or after the supercharger.

Im sure you know the setup, physics, and that is what you were saying but for the life of me I couldnt figure it out :slight_smile:

[quote=“Violator,post:10,topic:30332"”]

You lost me boss. I left out the intercooler for simplicity. The main charge cooler/heat exchanger in a water/air system should be after the supercharger regardless. Physics says that air heats up as it is compressed. It needs to e cooler after it is compressed or after the supercharger.

Im sure you know the setup, physics, and that is what you were saying but for the life of me I couldnt figure it out :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Yeah I know you got it, I just woke up and the brain isn’t functioning, lol. Just reread what i wrote and :bloated:. Oh well, :slight_smile:

[quote=“Zer0DazE,post:6,topic:30332"”]

thats what any intercooler is.

[/quote]

bah i had more typed about coolant running through it instead of air.

better idea for ya…remove supercharger internals, slap an end plate on the housing and rig up a turbo system. end game.

you can actaully set up a short stack intercooler between a roots blower and the manifold providing you have the room/relocation skills.

[quote=“greenbull,post:12,topic:30332"”]

bah i had more typed about coolant running through it instead of air.

better idea for ya…remove supercharger internals, slap an end plate on the housing and rig up a turbo system. end game.

[/quote]

yea …if you want a 5 gallon intake plenumm

why not remove the supercharger and make a proper plenum, then add the turbo kit ?

On the cobalt SS you would then have to cap off the bypass going into the aftercooler from the supercharger. would make it alot simpler to use the stock bypass system to control boost levels.

www.hybridconnection.com

then have saws and welders that will fix that lil problem with the stock intake. would do you some good to shorten up that intake anyways