Quick Window Depot Review.

I had these guys put 4 windows in my two family house. This is more of an investment house for me, so I did not want to go high end or anything.

The windows in the house were totally shot wood windows with leaky metal track storm windows.

I went with their $169 windows. Here’s the deal, it is up to 70 inches for that price. I have two huge windows which are a couple inches short of 70 inches.

If I were to custom order those windows and install them myself, I would be right around 150-200 dollars if not more.

So I had them come out for an estimate. The guy shows up with his suitcase. He goes into the sales pitch right away, offering $400 low-e glass and all this nonsense. I explain that I just want the economy window, and he writes it up without too much more of a pitch.

Basically everything with this company is an extra. For $169, you just get a window installed in the hole, nothing else.

They wanted $40 per window to dispose of the old window. I said I would toss it myself, and the guy who installed it ended up taking it with him anyways.

They wanted $40 per window to re-trim the inside or the outside of the window, and $45 to paint any trim.

Again, I did this myself.

They wanted $40 per window to insulate around the window. I know this is a ripoff, but I had to buy it. Its not like you can insulate after the window is already installed.

So, I bought 4 windows, and was told that the wait time would be 6 weeks. At the 6 week mark, I had heard nothing, so I gave them a call. They said that the order was not in yet, and that it would be another 2 weeks. So 8 weeks total to get them installed.

3 of the windows were just regular installs, the 4th window required extra labor, which they first quoted at $50, then the window installer re-quoted it at $100. They had to do a ton of work to get the 4th window in, it was replacing a piece of crap garden window that was not installed right at all, and they had to take down a ton of siding, and build a new frame to get it in right.

They installed the windows this morning, and did a real nice job.

I still need to do some trim work on the inside (some quarter-rounds, and paint). I also need to do some trim work on the outside (some exterior paint, and some aluminum trim around the windows)…

I could definitely see how some people could be misled by the $169 window. I just got the basics, and it came to $236.50 per window installed.

I could also see how some people would be pissed if they had to do anything to the window after they paid for installation, but they say exactly what they will and will not do.

For the price, you might be better off installing yourself, but honestly its not too bad of a price.

I have about 8 more windows to replace before next winter, and I might give Window World a call, and see what they do for their “$189 any size” deal, or see if it is more of the same bullshit.

They left my house earlier this spring… and I had some quotes made up.

1 with the cheapies and nothing extra, and 1 with the cheapies finished and 1 with the decent windows… finished.

Holy crap.

This was a good thread, because potential customers just about go into shock when they hear about all of the extras. It doubles the price of the windows.

So, would you have them do all or nothing if you had to do it agian?

I just had the guy here yesterday to give me a quote on a double hung for the kitchen to replace the last storm window on the house.

He came in with his suitcase and right away started with his sales pitch. Since I’m a salesman myself, I let him talk to see what type of tactics he uses and most importantly, if he listens to what I say.

I am replacing one window in a house of old vinyl windows that are not low E. Obviously one low E window isn’t going to do anything for me, but he tries to sell me on a low E window anyhow claiming I can get the tax rebate and it’s a better deal, yada yada. He gave me a quote for $350 installed and said I would get $85 back for the tax credit. What they don’t say, is their cheap windows are also energy efficient and you can still get the tax credit.

If you can make it through the sales pitch and tell them what you want, not the other way around, it’s a good deal. I am going to go with them and have them finish the exterior trim for me. For about $250 or so it’s not a bad deal.

FYI almost all window/door installation places work this way when it comes to prices

this is great info.

i just bought a house and am going to need to replace some windows after i close…

Explain a little more about the tax credit. Directly from the energy star website…

After June 1, 2009:
U factor <= 0.30

SHGC &lt;= 0.30

So, does that mean that the U Factor and SHGC has to be less than or equal to to .30?

The cheap-ass window depot windows I had installed have a U factor of .49, and the SHGC is .59…

They don’t meet the requirements…

How does the government check to see actually what you installed? Do they require a copy of the window sticker?

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=products.pr_tax_credits#c1

It really depends on what I’m working on.

I’m not going to live in NYS for much longer, I just wanted to put some new windows in my two units so that I could get some good tenants in there, and keep them happy.

For my own house, that I plan on living in for a while, I would have gone a little higher end.

But in the market where my house is located (West Seneca, near South Buffalo)… ANY new window is a huge improvement over the crap that is in most of these houses.

Half the houses on my street have no insulation at all. Our place has insulation on the outside, vinyl over that, and insulation packed into every wall.

People aren’t going to ask the U value of the new windows that they see, lol.

Well the guy wasn’t a good sales representative nor was he a good listener because he was on his own agenda. But I asked him if the silver series qualified for the rebate and he said they did. So I could be wrong on that.

I don’t know if you have to provide proof to your tax guy if they window qualifies when you do your taxes.

If I remember correctly, you prepare your own taxes JustinH. No documentation is required (although I haven’t dealt with it in over a year at this point). It’s not a huge risk to take audit wise so ultimately it doesn’t matter.

Good read. Thanks for the info.

Anyone know of other reputable Windows installers? I have heard of BIG L also.

Xander and Jeller work for pella, if your looking for decent windows

Yeah I work for a bank, I do my own taxes, then one of my buddies in accounting reviews it over a couple cups of coffee, and tells me what to change before I file.

I would not worry about being audited for that… unless I send them an email about this… :snky: :lol: