New Windows...

Pulled up a thread back in 2009 - thought I would start a fresh 2011 onehere.

Basically I’m looking to get some new windows in the house (currently I’mstuck with 30+ year old Anderson’s).

Just had Kaz Companies (formerly known as Kaz Brothers) stop by for anestimate (should hear back by Tuesday at the latest).

Buddy from work had mentioned that his neighbor is getting windows - anysize, from Windows Depot for something like $169. Now, I would like to know ifpeople had any experience with them or know of any good/bad/ugly about them.

Pretty much I’m looking to get the windows installed this year, and thecatch is that I want a Lifetime Warranty (transferable) as to make it possiblea ‘selling-point’ should we decide to sell the house.

From what I’m told about Kaz Companies, is they pretty much did 50% and moreto my parent’s house and their work is phenomenal. Also, the gentleman who cameto our house said it would be in the ballpark around $5,000 to $7,000 (2 Mainwindows double-hung), 3 standard size bedroom windows, 2 midsize windows (kitchen +bathroom)).

Any thought would be great!!!

Pm jeller or xander, they both work for pella. X is out of town at the moment

I work at Pella, if you want to talk any further about your project, call me 228-4692 (Chris) I handle existing homes/replacement, we offer all the installation and finishing in house, install crews also in house that only do windows, not jacks of all trades.
I have some office hours next week if you wanna come in and take a look at things and go over your project.
Are you doing pocket replacements or full replacements?
What product type are you looking at? Full Vinyl or Composite or Wood interior? we offer all three.
Oh yeah, and any window $169… you get what you pay for/that is not what they will try to sell you/it includes nothing you actually want etc…

Give me a call to discuss further, I can help you out.

Chris

I’ve had Window Depot do the windows at my rentals. For $169 you only get the basic window and installation. They charge extra for trim, insulation, replacement warranty, etc. Mine for full trim, and the insulation was $259 each. Still cheap, but that’s what they are, chap vinyl windows. They seem to be a decent quality for what they are, but if you’re installing them in a nice home and hoping they will add to resale, they won’t. They will be better than old crap wooden windows, but not as nice as quality windows like Pella.

Wish I’d seen this before my parents ordered from DiGeorge.

Just looking to replace the windows entirely… Jeller you got a pm…

Make sure they install the windows correctly lol.
When are you looking to do this by?

kind of weird kaz changed their name… hmm

DO NOT get the Pella Thermastar windows, especially if you have/need sliders. I had my whole house done about a year and a half ago. 19 windows in all. 4 small basement sliders, 1 large kitchen window with slides on each end, and the rest were double hung. Well, first good rain storm we had, I had rain coming in under the slider (The sliding panel, not the whole window) on the kitchen window. Same on the basement ones on that side of the house. You can also see light out the corners and feel the wind when it’s blowing hard. Went back to Lowes, where I purchased them, and who I had install them, and they said “That sucks, we heard that all the time, nothing we can do.” That was it, so i know it’s not just me with the issue. I also have found that the double hung windows have latches that don’t line up to lock them, and that the weather stripping on them looks minimal, even though they were supposed to fit the Tax Credit (which I got thankfully.) Also, on some of them I can still feel some air coming through the seams.

Also, None of my issues have to deal with the installation. The guy who did it was top notch and well recommended. I also checked each of the issues to make sure that anything I was feeling was not coming from elsewhere.

Overall they are better than my original 1939 windows, but that’s not really saying much. I will say though, my 1939 windows never let any water into the house from the slider (replaced it with the same style.) So I would NOT recommend that brand. You might have better luck going with one of the higher up model, but that’s up to you.

Jeller can confirm, but I’m pretty sure Lowes/Home Depot sell the absolute shittiest model Pella makes so they can attract people with a low price. Much like how Walmart will get a Walmart exclusive model number because they’ve forced the manufacture to cut every corner possible to meet their price point. I’ve had several people tell me not go to through them for windows.

Really I have no objection paying a good hunk of change for them - I want them done soon and I don’t want to have to worry about them years to come…

From my understanding Kaz Brothers is know called Kaz Companies due to their addition of another company.

Also Kaz Companies said that they would install Joyce Windows.

As for Pella windows I have heard both sides on them… Some swear by them, and other’s could care less for them…

I put in a Pella sliding door myself that I bought at Lowes or Home Depot (forgot which now) and it’s been fine but it’s not a real quality item. At the time the old one started leaking and I needed a quick cheap fix because money was tight. It’s sealed very well and has never leaked but the hardware is cheap and the design of the track makes it a magnet for dirt and leaves.

A friend of mine spent a bunch of time researching and getting estimates when he had windows done and ended up going with Pace. http://www.pacewindows.com/ He’s had them about a year now and loves them.

I would do the windows myself… but considering it comes with a warranty - I think that’ll be a GREAT selling point if we decide to sell.

Also, Kaz Companies has 6 months same as cash too!!! (Another plus) **6 months to start right after installation, and the minimum down is 10%…

My only thought about the installer is…why install products that suck and have many documented issues? I understand sub contracting is big and often easy money but I wouldn’t put my name or effort into something I knew was sub-par at a core level. Just my 2 cents.

And subbed as I may be looking to do windows and digging for info soon. :slight_smile:

The previous owners of my place had almost all of the upstairs windows replaced in 2007 (save for master bedroom) and 1 in bathroom downstairs. It was done by Braymiller Builders in Hamburg. They used Bristol vinyl windows. They have been great I have no complaints about them. For 6 total double hung windows it was 5300 installed. I will definitely look at them when it comes time to do the rest of the Windows downstairs I will definitely consider them. I dread that day though, 14 double hung windows plus 2 casement style windows

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

I will also add they had a Pella Sliding Glass Patio door installed, vinyl with blinds on the inside. It is also was pro installed not sure who through but it has been great.

All of the replacement windows/new builds we use are pella or anderson. You pay to play. a base model vette will not perform the same as a ZR1. Thats why you pay more for it. just because it’s still a vette doesn’t mean its going to be the same.

I think we put in almost 48 windows last year in my dads house, all of them were pella im pretty sure.but we bought them directly from the manufacturer/warehouse w.e

If you are still interested, please PM me with some basic contact information. I am a general contractor based in Hamburg offering replacement windows as one of our services. I can provide references and our website once I get your info. Thanks for the opportunity.

Yes, they make products just for lowes that we at Pella dont even sell or even able to get. Also every company has their products that are winners and losers. I will tell you what to buy and what not to for good reason.
Many of the things we sell at our local Pella Dist. are the better products, not your low cost alternatives.

Joyce windows, Never heard of them.

Bristol windows, Canadian company I think… Braymiller is the pushiest place I have ever heard of in our business, It really puts alot of people off.

Jeller

I replaced the 30+ year old andersen windows (and 2 shitty ones that looked homeade) from my house with Andersen windows from HD, think they were 400 series.
The windows I had were pretty rotted and nasty.
I bought whatever was more expensive… mainly because of the 30% rebate.
Ended up purchasing 5 double hung, 1 casement, and 1 slider. Installed them myself, was simple as it should be. Except for two windows that were totally screwed as far as the framing went, and had to redo all the framing because of my crappy house :] (the casement and slider).
Everything works nicely, the lock on all the double hung is very snug, almost have to push the window down in order for it to lock. I imagine that’s because of the weather stripping/seal.
Very easy to get level/squared.

No drafts coming in through the window (or around it, foamed the shitnits out of everything), and they don’t fog up even if you breathe on them when it’s cold out.
I have 5 more double hung to replace this coming spring when i finish the house, and will use the same.

Pmed…

well just got my quote from Kaz Companies and its just under $6,000, and again that’s for 2 large windows (dining/family room) 2 small windows (kitchen/bathroom) and 3 bedroom windows (medium-size).

Was expecting it to be more, but I’m still looking to get a few quotes… Jeller I haven’t forgotten about ya either…