Replacement window companies

Hey guys, I’m trying to get some quotes for replacement windows at my new house. The windows are pretty old so we are going to start replacing a couple rooms at a time. I had a guy come buy and give me a quote that had done the windows at our townhouse, but the prices were higher than I expected so I want to compare his price with some other companies.

Do any of you guys work for window companies or know of any companies that offer a good window (energy efficient) at a decent price? I had good luck dealing with Sean (Bravada442) for the furnace at the old place and I figured I would check on here again to see if there are any window guys.

im not a window guy but my old neighbor is. he has been with a LARGE company for 20+ years and did mine in my house. i did 14 windows all pretty large about 30"x36" and with a large window infront. it came to about 5 g’s though. absolutely perfect windows actually the sash’s (window itself) was too loose in the jam and he made traco come out and traco made all new sash’s that were 1/16 of an inch larger to fit properly… where you move too?

Still in Bethel Park. We have 13 windows total that need replaced. 2 of them are just standard double-hung windows. 5 of them are long and rectangular and both ends have pieces that slide to the middle to open. The most of the rest are larger square windows that have a similar setup. We also have a big window in the front of the house that needs replaced. Does this guy do doors also? We are considering new storm doors. PM me his info if you have it available.

yeah he does doors also did two or three doors at my parents house… great work. ill give him a call and check and see if he is doing stuff now or if he is busy

We used Energy Swing Windows out of Murrsyville (live in Allison Park) The windows are top notch, but a little pricey. The windows are made locally as ordered, and are really nicer than we needed but seems worth it. I can send you the info of the guy I used. (there is some kind off referral kickback they give) We worked together at Audio Communications back in the day

Watch Traco, some of the replacement parts are becoming hard to find. Traco was sold, and the buying company went out of business. I found this out as I had a couple Traco windows repaired yesterday at a rental property that I take care of…

Tracking thread. We’re looking at doing this soon too in order to jump on the tax benefits and replace windows that you can practically feel the wind blowing through.
Completely lost on who to go to and what is a good price; I know nothing about windows.

We had a little spin-off company at one time that did windows, but we don’t really do them anymore. But, that being said, my boss is still in contact with a couple of very reputable guys that he tries to throw the business to in case anyone contacts him.

I’ll see who he thinks is good without being extraordinarily expensive and post back up Monday or Tuesday

We had like 4 window companies come in last week and give us quotes. It was the worst couple days of my life, window pitches take like 2 or 3 hours and are so boring. We ended up going with Thermo-twin. It is going to be $10K for all 12 windows in the house to be replaced. It costs a little more than the double hung windows (standard up and down windows) because we are getting 3 piece sliders (windows that are long and narrow).

We got quotes from Champion, Window World, Thermo-twin, and then a guy we know that did windows at our old house. The Window world and Champion sales pitches were enough to make me want to kill myself. Both sales pitches took like 2 or 3 hours and the entire time they were “educating” us about their company and a bunch of other stuff that we don’t care about. We just wanted to know how much the window costs and why it is better than the competition.

We actually ended up going with Thermo-twin because they are locally owned and manufactured and because the guy didn’t BS us. He knew we wanted the energy efficient (tax credit) window and that we had already sat through 2 sales pitches (and those guys didn’t get the order). He said he doesn’t do the whole sales pitch thing like the other companies. He got our measurements and gave us a book of before and after pictures (no marketing/sales BS from Thermo-twin) and discussed the benefits of their windows. He was not the lowest price, but he was the most honest and he knocked off $800 bucks when I told him I was willing to pay by check instead of financing.

The Champion guys came in and said they wanted over $18,000. Which they immediately knocked down to over $12,000. Then I told him they were still way over our other quotes and he got me down to like $10,500 if I put up signs in my yard and sent referral letters to all my friends and neighbors.

Never want to have to buy windows again!

have fun my 14 windows were 5100 told you to call my buddy. and you can only write off up to 3000 bucs of that anyway… FYI… might be more sufficient to put them in over 3 years.

Yeah, we considered it but since we want to stay in the house for the next 20 or 30 years we wanted to get the highest quality possible. We had traco’s (who actually went out of business this year) at our old house and they were ok for a temporary townhouse, but we wanted to get really high quality windows for the new house. I definitely considered contacting your neighbor but we just wanted to deal with a company that insures its installers (we had some damage done to our walls when we had windows put in at the last house). We also wanted a long term warranty on the parts and labor which you can’t really get from a smaller operation.

Also we considered doing it over multiple years, but we were worried that they might not carry the same look or style and we didn’t want to have mis-matched windows. Also, we had the money now so we didn’t want to wait and do it in stages, plus he gave us a discount because we are doing them all at once. In the end our quotes ranged anywhere from $7,000 to $11,000 after all of our discounts and stuff like that. So we picked the middle of the pack and I think we are getting the highest quality for the price.

This was about the experience my wife and I had. After 3 hours I had to nearly throw the guy off of our porch. I guess telling him to get the fuck out of my house wasn’t enough. Bunch of shady people. We figure we will just buy Andersen or Pella when we can then either put them in ourselves or hire a contractor. We did one in the basement last year and it really isn’t rocket science. This is a brick house and the basement window was of course, installed in the block. I personally think what they charge for vinyl windows is ridiculous and would rather pay similar for wood.

Yeah, I had to pretty much kick the guys from Champion out of my house. I had set up their appointment at 12 and then had thermo twin coming at 2. I figure two hours was more than enough time, but those guys won’t take no for an answer. I had my wife talking to the thermo twin guy outside while I tried to get rid of the Champion guys. They knew that thermo twin was there so they were just taking their good old time getting their stuff together. I am just glad that our house will be completely updated once we are done with the windows. I hate dealing with this kind of stuff.