Home Window Contractors

Anyone have experience or know someone that does home window installs? We have 16 windows and pretty much know the type of vinyl windows we want… so we are starting the quoting process. I’d like to have three or four people come out, so I was looking for a few recommendations, I have one or two already in mind.

Let me know good or bad… thanks

We have a company that does custom window installs out of Ohio. If you give me measurements of all the windows and the features that you want, I can get you a price installed if you’re interested.

I used Window World and have been pretty happy with them

Are you looking for a full service window company or just a contractor that installs? At our last two houses, we have used Affordable Windows and Thermo-twin. Affordable Windows used to carry Traco, but Traco is no longer in business; I can’t remember what brand they carry now. We did our townhouse for about $2,000 back when he was carrying Traco and that was for about 8 windows (standard windows). We just had Thermo-twin do the windows at our new house last spring and we ended up spending $10,500 for 13 windows, most of which are custom sizes and very large, thus the higher prices.

Nice, thanks for the input… my neighbor actually used affordable for his last two homes and suggested them as well. That is a good point about Traco… i’ll have to see what they carry now. Any reason you didnt’ go with them again and went with thermo-twin? typically i hear that they are higher prices when asking around. Are you happy with the 10.5 spent?

We have only three taller than standard windows and one wider than standard… otherwise the rest should be pretty commonly sized… I was hoping to be at or below $8k on this venture, but we do have 16 windows total.

Sean, thanks man! I am going to see where i get with these local guys first and will let you konw. We are also going to be in the market for an air cleaning system for the heater (to replace an old/ broken electrostatic deal) and possibly an A/C check? the unit is ultra old and probably up for replacement in the next 2-5 years. haha… the projects just pile up.

I have a big old house in West View got 6 windows installed for 1800.00 with lifetime warrenty

No problem, just PM me here if you need something and we’ll get you squared away.

We picked Affordable windows at our townhouse because at the time we didn’t have a lot of money saved up and we just wanted to get rid of the draft in the house. We were very surprised with the quality of the windows though. We figured for $2K we would end up with just basic windows that were not the highest quality, but the Tracos were great. At the new house, we wanted to get something that was extremely high quality and we were willing to spend the extra money. I had Steve from Affordable come out and give me a quote and it was way lower than what Champion, Window World and Thermo-twin quoted. I was worried that the new windows would not be Traco and I had never heard of the new company that he was carrying. We picked Thermo-twin because they are local and I have never heard any complaints. After thinking about the costs and benefits, I wish I would have just used Affordable window and saved a few thousand dollars. I am really happy with the Thermo-twins, but I know that Steve does great work and I kinda wish I would have just had him do it.

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but am about to look into having the windows replaced at our house, and was wondering what the OP’s end result was.

EZ Home Exteriors … turned out to be a good guy known through a mutual friend or two. They just finished installing them yesterday… a day and a half to do 15 windows… good price, comparable to the cheapest quote we received. The new windows are awesome… triple paned with country style grids inside the glass… otherwise not sure if the different gases are worth it…? Triple pane was on sale otherwise not sure if that’s worth it either… but ended up with them. warranty transfers to the next owner for $40 and glass warranty protection.

Thanks…will look at EZ. Looks like Thermo-twin will be another solid choice, will also give Affordable a call.

Thermo-twin was OK pricing… they have a good warranty too? I think they also had a glass breakage warranty for $10 a window… which was great. locally made etc. Century Windows sold them locally, he was a good price and nice quote… better watch the lead laws though and if your house was built prior to 1978 and if you have kids… EPA want to mandate ‘protection’ efforts for lead based paints… ridiculous guidelines, 10’ of plastic on the outside of the house, 3’ on the inside… partition off rooms in the house with plastic and complete cleaning and vacuuming of ‘dust’… total bullshit, but was an added $1800 to my quote. The law underway is attempting to allow homeowners to opt out, but chances are it’ll be team ramrodd’ed into law (like everything else) and will soon become a huge cost for anyone doing anything with roof / windows / doors.

Yea, house was build in '72, but I remember having to have a lead paint test performed prior to closing (can’t remeber why), and it passed. Pretty sure we didi it again when our first child was born, just to be 2x sure. Will have to find results to avoid that charge!