To Home Owneres - Window Question

Hey guys, well long story short I bought a home last fall and the windows SUCK. This past winter they let all my heat out and before it happenes again I want to replace them this summer.

I already replaced my back slider with a Pella from Lowes which I like.

I now have a the rest of the house to replace. They are all sliders and I think I might buy a Bay window for the front of the house.

I could go Pella from Lowes again. The window is around $1000 and then labor is probably another $1000.

Where do you guys go for real nice windows at a decent price.
I dont want to pay for the name. I hear Pella is paying for the name.

those are some expensive windows

I would look at the return on investment for you. Is the house worth spending that much money on windows?

If it is a high-end, more expensive house, spend the money. If it is a started home in a starter neighborhood, then just go with some vinyl windows. Either way, it’ll probably be a night and day difference.

Everyone has thier opinions. Do your own research on which one(s) pass muster. Then find out where to get the one(s) you want.

Call Xander, or Jeller they are Pella reps

talk to xander.

you can also save a ton doing the installs yourself.

Drop me a pm if you want to talk more with your info. :tup:

i posted on another window thread just yesterday, call up home improvement center. they are on niagara falls and sheridan. tell them kevin sent you, if need be ask for dana.

Andersen windows are pretty nice. But I think they’re expensive. That’s what my parents had put in our house.

Or you could save a shit load of money and just plastic your windows in the winter. haha.

http://www.windows4buffalo.com/
You can also get a tax credit.

i thought andersens were cheaper for the quality you get with them, great windows for less money.

i could be wrong.

alot of people complain about them. I read some pretty horrible reviews via BBB a while back.

my parents have andersons in there house, and have had ZERO issues for years. They also have A LOT of windows. I attached a picture of just the back. It’s a pretty good sample of windows/doors/skylights. All have been perfect.

^^^that’s an awesome setup! I love the “open” look.

my buddy does window cleaning, they have been open for 30 years, he says how great these windows are. generally hes the one fucking with them constantly. like i said, for the cost and quality they are pretty good windows, great insulation.

usually you only hear about bad things about any product, because thats generally the most amount of people talking about a product, not to many people care to leave good feed back because they dont have anything to complain about nor do they care to say anything.

I just installed all new Pella’s in my house last fall. I got them at Lowes when thy had some 10-15% off, plus I opened a Lowes card and got an additional 10% off.

Def. install them youself…its soo easy. I did all 13 with my dad in a day.

They def. have made a big difference on my heating bills. The house is so much more comfortable now. I looked a couple of places that were more expensive for windows, however when I found out about the sale at Lowes was about to expire and I jumped on it.

make sure if you do your own windows, not to over stuff them with the insulation, you will bow the windows and they will not shut properly/open properly.

Thanks a lot guys.
YEA I did the slider door and my kitchen window myself but the living room window is big and being a bay window i heard you have to support it into the house and the rafters. Im sure I could learn/do it but last thing i need is for me to tell the woman “yea yea i know what im doing” then once in i sit on it and it falls.

Losing $1000 would suck but hearing I told you so for the rest of my life is worse. HAH

BTW-i think we will be there about 15-20yrs. i turned out to be a started but after everything i have done we like it a lot better now

I have all Andersen 400 series windows in my house… Just over $14,000 and we installed them ourselves. I’m very happy with them, great quality and the fact that they tilt in to wash is great. Not sure if you want to spend that much though…

Or getting friends to do it!!

Are they (REAL) Jeep branded?