racket pinion??

Well i had my car at goodyear about 2 or 3 days ago to get a allignment while i was there they said my racket pinion was going bad it is makeing a poping noise that you can hear when you turn the wheel. My question is about how much am i looking at to get this fixed anyone know? Its a 2000 cavalier 2.2. i know there are some mechanics here on this forum so i figured better place then any to ask. i asked them about how much they said they would not really be able to give me a price since there is no telling how long the install would take

rack-and-pinion not racket

call 1stry talk to jeff :bigthumb:

I was going to say that too… :rofl:

rack and pinions are expensive I think… $800 it was for one for my 1988 plymouth reliant K. Needless to say I traded that shit in!

bad rack + pinion on a five year old car??

It’s a GM product, 'nuff said.

:rofl: the sad part is, i’m starting to get the gm jokes due to first hand experience

i got a price on the part its $250. and yea on a 2000 i took it to the garage and they said that is what lal the poping noises are that when i turn the wheel.

PM me, the parts quote is about right, what engine is in your car and what trans do you have? that way I can give you an acurrate estimate for you.

I was a parts manager for a GM dealership and left to be a parts manager at a Honda dealership. It was night and day comparing the two, the GM stuff was sooo bad compared to Honda products that I sold my year old S-15 Jimmy and will never own another GM product-new or used.

gm makes a good car

Kind of off topic a little but I think the question was answered already:

I’ll have to x2 on the rack and pinions (and suspension). Grand Am r&p crapped out early. All 3 Grand Prixs had suspension or steering issues. All warranty, but still. And I know I shouldn’t make a judgement on such a small sampling.

But I mean come on, if you can’t produce a decent rack and pinion by 2005… It’s either made poorly from the beginning (not holding tight enough tolerances) or poor material. If you keep trying to cut costs to meet your earnings goals for the year and make everything cheap, it’s going to catch up to you.

And when your performance as an individual is based on quarterly earnings you don’t look at the big picture of how it will affect the product in the long run. The bean counters/managers live their life a quarter at a time.

wel tahts your own oppinion and it was your fault for having an s-15 cause man are those junk or what

Rack is gone on mine but only recalls were for 97-98 grand prixs :madfawk:

sweet mine is starting to act up time for a free one.

my car is GM, but it’s Korean GM… with an Australian engine… wonder if that counts…

so its like a cross breeder

it counts but only like 20% so you can’t laugh, just smirk and or chuckle

my youngest brother just bought an accord, power everything, all the service records (it was owned by a honda tech) with 14X,XXX and it still cost a couple thousand. you don’t here of GM sedans being sold with that much on them. :doh:

my first car was a 90 old cutlass. i bought it with 170k on it… original engine and trans. Drove it to 250k still with original ens and trans till someone t boned it and totaled it. GM used to make good stuff

uncles 1995 chevy tahoe has just over 200K on it, only thing is rebuilt tranny