RAdiator and fans..SR swap

I am doing an SR swap pretty soon here, and i’ve got a question about the radiator and fan, now on heavythrottle, they say that it doesnt bolt up together, and i will need aftermarket fans and radiator or JDM parts. Is this true?

also, the stock exhaust and downpipe, I have no choice but to use this for now, it also bolts right up ? just a large amount of turbo lag will be apparent?

anyways, thanks!

First of all. Who are you? Where did you buy your engine from? Just some info, so that we know who we are dealing with. Nothing’s free. Some things are cheap.

I think your SR should come with with a crank driven fan. so if it fits behind your stock RAD then all you will need is the fan shroud.

Your downpipe probably wont mount right up to your turbo, do you have the elbow, downpipe, nothing, what? You will need the elbow and down pipe for the SR and then you could mount the rest up to you stock exhuast.

Give us more info so we can help you out

So I drive a 90’ 240sx, wanting to do this swap for a long time, just that now i have the funds finally and someone to do it (he knows nothing about swapping SRs, but has done a # of hondas), was thinking about picking the engine up from Jdmsource or Speedtech, still deciding.

I have yet to order the Fujitsubo exhaust I wanted, don’t have a single exhaust part in my name yet (although i think i will just pick up a downpipe when buying the engine).And i do have a ACT clutch to be installed.

Just want the engine in for now and running, then when I come back from vacation, finish the rest up.

So in all, if i were to buy a redtop, #1-would it be best if i had the full exhaust system first?, and 2 this fan shroud issue, how can i deal with this problem (or what should i be buying)

Thanks alot!

Oh and the who am I part, i’m 20 and I work, dunno what else to say…
Tnx

Well you KA has a shroud on it right now right? Maybe the fit is close to the SR? Maybe you can just trim it alittle if it isn’t perfect. I don’t think a hell of alot of science goes into designing them for air flow or anything. Check when you get an SR that it has a turbo elbow. It joins the turbo to the downpipe. IF it doesn’t come with one, you will need one. And I am pretty sure your KA exhuast wont mount to the elbow so you will need a downpipe as well. But the rest of your stock exhuast will be fine short term.
Check into the details od what all comes with the SR when you buy it for your swap and we can help identify what it is missing and what you will need.

First of all. Who are you? Where did you buy your engine from? Just some info, so that we know who we are dealing with. Nothing’s free. Some things are cheap.[/quote]
Dont worry info is always free, we are here to help each other out.

I was looking for your name. Buy a front clip to save some hassle. The more parts you can get at once the better. The SR rad will fit better and it’s shround and mechanical fan will cool better than an electric.

ok, so basically a little cutting work and fitment to the radiator and fan and i’ll be o.k? I plan on the whole TFAL/koyo deal after i come back from vacation.

and the turbo elbow meaning the dump pipe right… then also a downpipe?
then again i have yet to pick the engine up so i dunno if this is also sitting on the turbo.

I am looking into having the SR slip right in kinda thing, but then again nothings ever going to go perfect, thats why i started posting here, pretty much the best website regarding Nissans, and the most helpful/mature car community out there.

anyways, names Orville (yeh yeh original name eh), work for a car dealership but job does not involve mechanics, although i try to watch and learn as much as possible.

Thanks for all the info, I think I will goto one of the shops i suggested, and look at a couple of engines today.

EDIT: I don’t think i will have the $$ to get a front clip, i would so want to get a silvia clip but the funds are limited.
Thanx again!

Every different engine available will come with a couple different parts on it. So it is impossible for us to say if it will come with this, or if you will need that, without knowing what yours comes with.
The SR turbo sends gasses out directly pointed at the firewall(rear of the engine bay) and the elbow bolts to that and curves like 80degrees down. It’s only like 6-8" long, it’s really short. Then the downpipe hooks up to the elbow, drops down to the bottom of the car, curves along the bottom under the driver and connects to the CAT. It is a long downpipe, approx. 3’.
You have to have both of these, after the downpipe, you can connect whatever exhuast you want, with or without a CAT. I choose to save a little tiny bit of the environment and go with a high flow CAT.
The fan shroud thing…like you said, this is only temporary so no point spending money right? I would just trim your current shroud to fit, assuming the engine and fan fit behind your stock RAD. Then upgrade properly later. But doen’t leave it this way for too long, as SR’s allready have a problem staying cool, so don’t drive the snot out of it with an in efficient cooling setup. Just check out some pics of swapped SR’s and see if there should be enough room for everything and approx. how much trimming you will need to do.
Are you planning on only buying an engine? I doen’t know what is needed, but doen’t you also need the tranny, driveshaft? And in the near future axles, LSD. The reason I ask is because the stock 240sx drivetrain is designed for a 130HP engine, not a 200-250+HP engine. Seems to me the stock drivetrain couldn’t handle the extra strain.
But like I said, I doen’t know, I am just curious?

Ok so ive chosen an SR and yes they do come with the dump pipe, or turbo elbow and tranny ecu wiring harness and a stock IC w/piping.

one more other thing i would like to know is the stock fuel pump, this is ok for a bit? or should i just go get a walbro.

So thursday my engine comes, can anyone tell me an approximate on the hours for the pulling the KA up till the doing the timing and what not?

also, thinking i should do the belts and chain, what will i need, just same belts/chain off a SR20DE, as in from a Nissan dealership? or is the SR20 just Timing chain

Thanx again.

Belts can be found at Partsource, part numbers can be found here: http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=59345

Get a Walbro to be safe. There was one for sale in the forums.

Yeah, upgrade the fuelpump.
Does anyone know if the rest of the drivetrain will be OK when moving up to the SR? I can’t see how doubling the HP and torque will be OK on stock parts. But who knows!!

The stock SR intercooler goes into the fender infront of the front left wheel. It’s airflow comes from a hole cut in the bumper. So the stock intercooler on your 240sx probably wont really get any airflow. You will have to think about either upgrading, or modifying your front facia. If you don’t have any airflow over your intercooler you might risk your air charge being too hot and causing detonation. I am not sure what the 240sx front facia is like and if it would be eay or not. But on JDM Silvia’s you have to cut a hole in it that looks really ugly.

What kind of future plans you got for the SR? Might be able to save some money and just upgrade right away for some of the parts.

mechanical fan will cool better than an electric.[/quote]

Yeah, at low speeds. At high speeds the fins acually flatten out to cause less airflow.

Obviously upgrade the clutch. Make sure your flywheel is true and not cracked, etc. You can get some tranny shafts from OS Giken if you were really goin hardcore, but it’s not needed really until around 500 hp just to be safe. As far as a lightened flywheel goes, you hear all these cool things about them, but it will throw your motor off balance. It’s so heavy for a reason, to keep the momentum of the crankshaft going. So I don’t suggest those… Other then that, keep clean fluid in it and keep it up to level and you’ll be fine tranny wise.

I’m actually bringing the car to alot of AutoX and some solo II in the future, i planned to just get the engine first (really just hankerin to get a turbo thats all), and looking into a set of TEIN Flex’s when the funds build up again. I dont intend to beat the snot outta it until i know i’m set with the cooling issues, i hear cooling and oil starvation are really the most common problems with SRs,then again i don’t know as much as you all who already OWN an SR.

The future isnt too keen on the performance side, mostly auto X like i said, i’m looking at a hp goal of 260-280 hp, just minimal to get it running around on the track. I’m hoping this little t25 will make that happen with no internal parts, jsut the basic needed items.

So you mean cutting a hole under the drivers side turn signal will improve my cooling/airflow, i am getting the stock SMIC for free, thats why i will use it for the time being (for now with the KA rad and fan), i know i will be purchasing a koyo rad and a fan (dont know what kind is good…any suggestions (funds permitting))

Tnx

You’ll see what I mean when you see the intercooler your SR comes with.
It is what will need the air flow sitting in front of the left front wheel. I wouldn’t cut any holes in it if you are planning on putting in a FMIC which will be needed if you plan on running 280HP. Just don’t push it hard when there is no airflow to the intercooler.

http://www.japaneseusedcar.ca/img/600DSC06313.jpg

so kinda liek this picture here where theres a large rectangle under the signal light?

Yeah, like right there.

But like I said, don’t bother uglying up your car for a temporary side mount intercooler. Get a front mount one. Give you more power and engine run better and cooler.

no, ill most def. b replacing with a FMIC,this means relocating hte battery thing right? is there any alternative to putting it in the trunk?

you shouldn’t need to relocate the battery.