Rattle coming from engine?

K long story short cause I hate posting these things cause people just go OMG ITS YOUR _______ and it ends up being nothing even close to what they suggested.

Anyway.

I’m driving, doing my thing, engine starts emitting a rattling noise. I think “Awesome, rod knock” considering the 283xxx km’s on the engine. I phone Martino to LOL at it since I sort of expected it, and let him listen to it. He says it sounds weird, and might not be rod knock.

It’s loud as shit, and its rythmic so it’s obviously something that doesn’t falter in pattern (Pistons, Chains, etc).

Driving home like a blind person at 30km/h I noticed it’s only above 1.5k and at 10% throttle between 1.5 and 3k. If I give’r (normal acceleration or more) it doesn’t rattle till 3k.

Any suggestions?

P.S Martino, I bet it’s my starter.

Its loud as shit lol

Come to think of it…
Bad rod knock is pretty loud…

mabey timing chain

Rod knock doesn’t sound like a “rattle” though. Lifters?

That loud? It’s seriously damn loud.

But that would make sense cause I don’t notice any change in performance. Same pull, same responsiveness, just with a crappy sounding DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK coming from it.

pop off ur valve cover

Not sure what I would be looking for though.

I’ve heard some scarily loud timing chains, don’t rule it out.

Broken timing guide possibly

penis?

vagina

i hate it when my penis rattles loudly.

vas deferin?

nuts! gets ur salty nuts!

ok wellll, is it engine bay noise? maybe its carrier bearing? if your drive shaft goes off balance that will prob do it, I think these are one of the noises you need to hear to be able to diagnose. josh, be more specific! was it a hard knock something you would think is a rod? or a thump…see online just wont do the Justice.

Chris it sounds like a rod knock, and its consistent with his revs, which makes me think it wouldn’t be anything loose seeing as how something loose would be an un-consistent rhythm.

not consistent with revs below 3k rpm though

only happens at 10% throttle or if you let off the throttle between 1.5 and 3k

It sounded like it was a consistent rhythm though, not like something was loose inside.

Either way, take off the valve cover to see if there MAY be something as simple as that just floating around up top.
If its not rod knock, my next best guess would be a broken timing chain guide.

Probably isn’t rod knock then. Every time I’ve seen a car with rod knock it was making the noise at any RPM, higher RPMs were louder.

is the noise coming from the top of the engine or the bottom of the engine around the oil pan?

stick a long screwdriver against the valve cover or oil pan, or any part you think the sound is coming from and put your ear against the handle of the screwdriver.

you will hear the sound transmit right through the screwdriver.

it will be very noticeable where the sound is coming from, wehreever its louder