Loud engine knocking

Had this annoying knocking noise for a while. latley since its cold and its idling high for the 1st ten minutes its really annoying…It sounds like its coming from the center of the engine when i put my ear near. I cant see it being anything other than internal parts. The car sounds like a boat and u can hear the knocking threw the entire rpm range. Its a sohc and im running mobil1 10w30…i think…which ever ones for higher mileage engines. Time for that lucas oil stabalizer stuff? Any tips greatly appreciated
-Devin

if its from the middle, its most likely bearing knock…from the front, its most likely timing chain related.

How is your oil level?

is it a ticking sound?

could be dry lifters…

mine does the same sound its just getting louder and louder… it was a small ticking sound a few months ago now its just loud and it cant the be timing chain…

im just as lost as you are buddy… my oil was always full and 3/4 minimum so i dont know the issue unless the engine is about to explode on us… which would suck

lol i sure hope it doesnt mean sh!ts goona blow up on us…ill do a oil change and add lucas over the xmas break…right now im cheap.
-Devin

dude it happened to me last year. Take a look at the studs holding ur mani in. Thats prob it, ITs really loud? Like people look at u when u drive by right?

hmm, i’ll take a look… but its toooo COLD!!! haha

I second that…ill just drive around the corner to grandmas and use her garage and get free cooked food! :smiley:

s14_2Nv
Oil levels fine as for describing the sound…its kinda like a ticking…but a loud tick thats why i say knocking. I rem once taking the valve cover off when i had this problem as sum1 told me tighten the lifters…didnt kno theres no way of tightening them but anyways…put valve cover back on and it went away for a few days :? I didnt even touch anything else…

I went with what S14 said asuming my lifters were dry. They sure were so i lubed them up and added a tad more oil than the engine needs right ontop of the camshaft/lifters etc. The noise was gone within 30 seconds of running the car. Sounds good and quiet now…but my no name(prob CT)mufflers still quieter than the engine idling…cant wait for full 3" from cat back.

:thumright:

how many km are on the engine. does it just happen when its cold out.

i have just over 200. Since i got it with 199 ive taken care of her. Always let it warm up, bought romote starter/alarm for those cold days. Let it cool down before i shut it off in the summer(used turbo cool down mode with the 2 way starter/alarm) Hopefully she’ll last before i get a better babe under the hood to make those tires smoke. My gf sure does get jelous of me and my cars :lol:. but my baby will never leave me thats for sure. The car of course :roll: Just being sarcastic…cars are replaceable dont really have feelings… :? i sure think they do but the cars a chick magnet surprisingly with no rice :shock: I figured if i bought a pretty car(del sol, civic, accord etc) id be pimpin…real pimps drive automatics anyways…caprice classic, towncar, caddi’s just to name a few. But anyways the problem was fixed. Just take valve cover off lube the cam up nyce add some more oil…i used a little more than i needed and it worked. ive only put on maybe 10kms since i got the noise to go away ill post if it comes back to haunt.
-Devin

werd. i have little girls telling me i have a nice car all the time, and i don’t even need to offer them candy. 8)

Lool big_byrd…well im 18 and get compliments from the gurls my age. Hopefully in your case their not jailtime little sexy sluts that make u wanna skeet skeet on them as u drive by them all chilling at the bus stop.
-Devin