please help!

ok, i just got back from work and i decided to do a maintenance check up. so with the engine running i open the hood and i hear a clicking sound. its not a rattle it is a continuous clicking sound. so while the engine was running i put my ear closer to the car and i tried to pin point the problem. the sound was coming from inside my engine. so first i check the oil, ok oil was a little low, so i filled up the oil. the sound persisted… i placed my hand on top of the valve cover and i felt the clicking sound. i dont want to assume but can it be the timing chain?

anyway please help, any trouble shooting techniques or try this would be much appreciated

Regards
David

thats prolly just your lifters… lots of cars do it… i know mine does.

whats a lifter? sorry i dont understand what that is, and what it does. can you explain in more detail?

regards
David

Probably lifters. keep your oil level intact. It prolongs engine’s life.

mine tick like crazy on my SOHC (lifters)

im actually curious how long it will last this way - i’ve tried several different “oil based” solutions but nothing seems to affect it.

motor still runs, pulls and starts fine and decet fine gas mileage. I figure it will blow up sometime over the next 10-20k or so :wink:

miss firing… check you sparkplugs and wires… reasy way is to remove one plug at a time if the clicking stops u found it. or

remove sparkplug and wire. hold spark plug to your fender with wire attached and crank car if you see a spark reinsert and move to the next one.

check your engine oil its prolly low. also add lucas or something next time u do a oil change should help.

Not sure what kind of ticking noise you are hearing, but the fuel injectors do make more noise than you would think, could be them…

ok, well yesterday night me and my friend tried to troubleshoot this problem. so in the captain snookers parking lot, we opened my hood and tried to see if it was the lifters.

here was the test
if it was the lifters then the clicking sounds should increase when more fuel was dumped into the engine.

so, my friend tried to listen for an increasing number of clicking sounds while i revved my engine.

there was NO increase in clicking when the engine was being revved.

we checked the engine oil and it was topped.

so, we think it is a loose timing chain.

Also the idea of the engine misfiring would be evident while i drove. i have sat in a car that is misfiring and the car feels as if it was firing cannons out the muffler. so i doubt it is a misfire. also the spark plugs and wires are new.

any ideas?

Regards
David