Clicking noise on DE

I got a KA24DE, with around 180000-200000kms on it. it was running fine, all along until today when i took it out for a drive, i hear this loud clicking noise coming under my valve cover, it comes in when i rev around 2-3k, and in that rpm range, i get less power, once i get over 3,000prm, a sudden jolt of power comes back. the jolt is not THAT noticable but its there. was wondering what it could be, and how it can be fixed. thanks.

*i can let the gas go in that rpm range, and get no noise, i give a light tap on the peddle, and it comes right back.

Maybe youir timeing chain guides? if its that they are not to hard to take out the egine doentt really need them…other then that i dunno.

nah, its not the guides, it makes a nicer soundling click, this one is just gay sounding.

hey, mine does a similar thing, assuming it’s the timing chain guides, just wondering though, the faster i go, the faster it clicks…is yours like that as well?

if its going tick tick tick at idle or at hiher rpm check ur manifold. If theres a leak it will be sucking in air making the valves go tick…it happened to me on my old s13

just re read ur post…its probably a leak, when u rev it higher the hotter gases could expand the metal making the leak go away for a short period. So thats why u could be getting power back…

its the loudest at around 2-3krpm. i topped up the oil today, so that didn’t help.

so what do i do rob? take it off, check for leaks or something torn on the manifold then put it back on? or should i just tighten the bolts?

edit

i checked just now, by pulling on the trottle cable and it makes the noise at around 2-3K ONLY, and i don’t htink its leaking cause its really consistant, don’t htink metal can expand and close up that fast can it? ive been told it could be a loose chain tensioner, or a sticky valve. i think i might have to bring it to nissan to fix it…: (

its not an air leak, i’d start by checking where its coming from in the head (which cylinder) and go from there.

It’s vtech

i knew that vtech post was gonna come out sooner or later.

if its only 2-3k then maybe its just ur top chain guide. Take off the valve cover and take ur guides out…if that doesnt work then maybe something else…i could still slightly here mine ticking at idle, but it was loudest above 2kish and died off around 3.5kish…i would have to look at it…

u could always take ur manifold cover off and just check the bolts and make sure they are right, never cancel anything out untill u check it

here is your answer…
its the lower timing chain tensioner. you can hope its the top one… but its more then likely the bottom one.

they have become stuck.

have you checked your oil? that stuff works wonders for internal combustion engines.

oil was changed yesterday, and the clicking noise is coming from the top.

top chain guide was removed before. i was told it was the tensioner before. thats gonne be the first thing i look into. thanks guys. also, i beat the crap outa the engine last night going down military trail in scarborough, that touge style road. did 4 runs, and the power loss problem went away.lol.but the clicking noise is still there.

hey guys, I was driving my 240 today for a “listening” test and noticed that the clicking in my car comes when i accelerate…well not just any acceleration, if i push the pedal lightly, it wont click, but once i start to open the throttle more, the clicking gets louder and faster…
not tryin to threadjack, but we might have similar problems

^^ no worries

i took the valve cover off today with willx, and we notcied the top chain tensionor was stuck. so we gave a good wiggle and a nice tug, and free’d it up again. fired it up, and the noise was still there. I guess the side chain guide is going to be next to come off. cause the noise is coming from the top. If the side chain guide doesn’t work, bottom chain tensionor is next.

o nice, i hope it isnt a big problem…i’d like to look myself but have no mechanical background lol i gotta read over the FSM fully on that section before i dwell into it haha

i just talked to some people, they said if you let the problem go on, it will fuck up the engine. So i’m going to buy a new chain tensionor and remove the chain guide asap.

anyone know the part number for the chain tensionor behind the front cover?

are u sure its not the chicken on that wheel inside ur engine bay getting mad at you??

if not see if theres a midget in one of ur cylinders with a pipe wrench

if NONE of these i will ask my boss tomorrow and call you with an update. text msg me and remind me to do it…

later alligator

P.S. blonde is ALL yours.
best of luck!

ok dudes, i free’d up the upper timing chain tensionor and it makes the same noise, now i think its the lower one, cause it gets louder when i listen closer to the ground. how do i get to the lower chain tensionor?

where is the lower tensionor in this pic???
http://www.emelecio.com/ifxpics/albums/userpics/10034/Motor%20Build%20026.jpg