Rattling noise

Once in a while I start my car I hear a rattling noise comming from underneath.

I’m thinking its the cat or something. It doesnt always happen but when it does its sounds pretty loud.

Is this a serious problem? And how much do you think it’ll cost to be fixed?

Could be a number of things…

Sounds like a loose exhaust system, heat shield, bad engine/tranny mounts, bad exhaust mount/mounting.

Cost/seriousness would therefore totally depend…

Good luck.

Well it sounds like its comming from the middle (around the cat area).

But going to get it checked ASAP.

Thanks for the advice.

If it’s only when you start the car, chances are it’s just something rattling that is loose and should be easily fixed.

I had a similar problem with the stock exhaust. At certain rpms it would rattle. It was the heat shield.

I just took it off and the niose is gone. The heatshield doesn’t really do much except rust and rattle after time anyway.

I had the same problem with my stock exaust. If you are still running the stock exaust, then just pull off the heatshield and problem should be fixed.

My old sx did that, I’m pretty damn sure its the lifters or something along that line being starved of oil until the oil gets up there and cuts the noise out. Mine would make a racket on startup and then stop like 3 seconds later. I also thought it was the exhaust for awhile and took out the heat shield and welded the whole exhaust system and it still did it. THe timing chain was new so it wasn’t that either. Anyways If you pinpoint it and find out its coming from inside the engine thats probably what it is. I read on here that you can get some stuff from partsource that will quiet your noisey KA up. Hope this helps.

I’m pretty sure it isn’t the lifters, that sound would be coming from the engine bay, his sound is coming from underneath his car…

I’m pretty sure it isn’t the lifters, that sound would be coming from the engine bay, his sound is coming from underneath his car…[/quote]

Phil he probably had that super secret heat shield/lifter mod :wink: j/k

I’m pretty sure it isn’t the lifters, that sound would be coming from the engine bay, his sound is coming from underneath his car…[/quote]

Phil he probably had that super secret heat shield/lifter mod :wink: j/k[/quote]

k anyways… I thought it was coming from underneath (exhaust) like I stated for the longest time too. It only did it at startup for a few seconds so its kinda hard to pinpoint where its coming from, and if the engine was running for awhile and I turn it off and start it again it wouldn’t make the noise, I’m just trying to help the guy out.