Recommend me a good host FTP site

I’m looking for an FTP site for businss purposes. I don’t know what options exist, but i’m looking for something that may have a decent GUI (for customer service reasons), ease of use (again, for customer service reasons) and something reliable.

I’m planning on files being temporarily stored for the sole purpose of a customer to download the file. My intent is to provide the customer with a login and password so they have the ability to only access certain files. (idk, maybe all ftp hosts offer this…?)

Again, i don’t know what is available, but pricing should be decent too (i.e. $10-20/mo. for maybe 5G of capacity)

insight appreciated.

Just get a web host, any host.

You can create unique usernames and give them access to whatever specific files/directories you want. If you already have a domain/website you probably already have this.

What type of bandwidth are you talking about? Small files / bandwidth? Just about anyone should be able to do it for a few bucks a month.

I use www.totalchoicehosting.com and www.godaddy.com

I’m not sure the technical level of the customers you have but you’re probably a lot better off with an HTML solution.

FTP is cumbersome for non-IT people and a lot of corporate firewalls block FTP access.

Dropbox lol

I’m not sure where we got the one we use at work but it’s pretty slick. I can go in and create users and assign them passwords, share out certain files, allow them to upload files to me etc and it’s all through a nice web interface that anyone with regular web access can reach. When a file gets sent to me I get an email with the file name as well as the contact section they are required to fill out to upload.

If you’re interested I can ask our web guy where he got it. I know we don’t host anything here ourselves.

^ that sounds like something i’d be interested in JayS… the customers are across the board with their computer knowledge…i’ll have to assume they know minimal. The easiest would be to have something shoow up like an explorer window and allow you to drag/drop to save files to and from their computer. In my mind i’m thinking that username/password would bring up only the files associated with that user.

the ammount of data will vary from a small .pdf file to a video which could be around 4G.

could be the cpanel interface, most hosting solutions include it

If you have a host this may do what you are looking for:

http://code.google.com/p/f-it/

I use box.net for all my clients. Works great, can create shared and passworded folders, and web based.

I market it to companies i consult for as a Microsoft Sharepoint replacement for companies trying to cut the MS leash.

I just used box.net for a job I had that I had to upload pictures and the invoice as well as other forms. The contractor uses this for all of their sub-contractors. It worked great and was easy.

hmm…will have to check it out (box.net)

thanks for the input everybody.

not sure if this is the same thing but my bings.ca site is hosted off 1&1 and it’s terrible… i can’t access my webmail 30% of the time.

used hostrocket, dreamhost and now sagemind without issues :slight_smile:

Oh god. 1&1 sucks. I used them a few years ago and they were horrible. Glad to know they haven’t changed at all.