Reflecting Heat

Alright pretty soon I will be having my Intercooler piping re-done, being properly welded etc.

One issue my engine bay has is the lack of the ability to route pipes without them being near some big heat source.

One thing I thought of is wrapping the intercooler piping in something to help keep heat out, not so much from the hot side but from the cold side obviously.

I’ve seen a few people use what looks like normal header wrap, my only concern with that thou is that it would not reflect heat and also trap heat in, especially under a hot hood in the summer months.

Are there any materials/wraps specifically designed for intercooler plumbing and help keeping the pipe from heat soaking?

Get some of this stuff… <- link

The gold stuff is what Yetti has on his firewall. I have the cheaper silver stuff that came in sheets.

I would take your pipes, and clean the shit out of them… so the glue sticks nice. Then just cut some pieces to wrap them in this stuff. It will reflect the heat nicely, and still look very good.

Ahh good shitt

Random gold IC pipes ftw :rofl

Thats the one thing that would suck is my pipes would get heat soaked so easy… Espeicaly in the cross section as it goes aboce the radiator and when the fan kicks on it blows all the nice hot air at the pipes…

How thick is that stuff anyways?

My cold side after the WA/IC is rigth on top of the rad too. It doesnt get very hot at all. But then again, it I havent driven it in the summer time yet.

Anyway, the stuff I got was about 3-4 sheets of paper thick or so. It molds and bends easily though. It if you were going to to inside or out side curves, you will have to do relief cuts to get it to overlap nicely, but if you take your time, it will look just fine.

Good stuff, On a cool night the pipes wouldent be to bad, but on humid hot day or even ight… the pipes were pretty hot…

If you felt the inlet of the intercooler it was hot, the outlet was ice cold up untill you got thru the fender where the rad was and they were hot as fuck again.

Yeah thats a bummer dude. Sounds like you need Santa do deliver some heat tape and you can go at it.

Do some IAT logs befor and after too… this is a good idea you have here and will have some nice information for us when you get it done.

yeah wasnt planning on running a sesnor for it but while doing this I think its going to be a good idea, its cheap and easy enough to do.

Cant wait to get my EMS.

Shady, bud, who gives a shit what it looks like? If that heat wrap works well and actually helps with heat soak, do it.

:lol Vot of all people you would give a shit what it looks like :rofl

hahah, nawwww. not for heat wrap. ive got that on my downpipes. i have no clue what color it is even. its in there and it works. good enough :slight_smile:

run the IC pipe differently then.

read my post…

somewhat difficult to route it so its not over any heat sorces… at least not without some custom shit… which I dont have the tools for, or money for someone else to do.

With my new setup i will have the maxima plenum and a satan top mount manifold with the holset. I am going to have the cold side pipe in front or the radiator because of needing space for the blow through maf. I plan to wrap the cold side in this http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/70510/10002/-1

well your pretty much fucked then lol

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl That’s sound deadening and it’s only good to 400 degrees :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

yea, you dont want that under the hood. if you must kill noise there, theres separate product thats more of a foam rather than resin like that. its more heat resistant. what youve got there is like dynamat, its for doors, floors, pillars, roofs and trunks for sound insulation NOT heatwrap. if anything it will retain heat in itself.

A piece of sheet alum bent to the shape of the pipe will work better than the reflective stuff. I did both where possible on mine to protect a control arm bushing from the header.

you mean like a second layer, but raised from the surface of the pipe like this?
http://himni-racing.com/images/polished_heat_shield.jpg

Yes, hence the metal heat shields on headers/exhaust bits :lol

yeah but then you gota make mounting points, and shit like that for a metal heat shield, even if they physical room permits.

Nice heat reflective wrap will work i bet. shit is only like $40 to do about 10 feet of 2.5" pipe… give it a shot kid.