Registering a vehicle in NY State

I am in the process of purchasing a vehicle that I unfortunately did not get all the details on for the title.

Great break down, I have the vehicle in my garage, the car had a lien and was originally purchased in Ohio with an Ohio bank. From what I have found out so far, the lien was cleared today and a lien release has been sent in the mail. I believe it still has a Ohio title as technically the Ohio bank owned the car till the lien was paid off. We were told they had a NYS title and would be sending it after the 7 day hold period we just went through, only to find out today that they don’t have a title to send.

The bank has said that they have about 30 days before receiving a title which my understanding would be the NYS title they put in for.

If the guy I’m purchasing this car from received the Lien release from the bank, could we go to get the Bill of Sale notarized by a bank and would that be sufficient enough to register the vehicle?

I will be contacting the DMV tomorrow but figured I’d ask to see what the thought is on this ahead of time.

Cliffs: Owner does not have title in hand
Title the bank has may still be Ohio title.
Will lien release and notarized bill of sale be enough to register a car in NYS?

semi related Ohio titles need to be notarized also

The bank is kind of dicking him around on what is actually in the mail to him. We know that the lien release is in the mail. However we are not sure if a Ohio title is in the mail or if anything else is coming with the lien. The bank told him last week they had a NYS title that would be overnighted when released. This seems to not be the case and its pissing us both off as the supervisor of the bank told him that.

In Ohio the bank holds the title and there’s no reason they’d get a NYS title for you.

I’d expect an Ohio title sent to you in that 30 days. NYS won’t do anything without a title.

The car is currently registered in NYS and has been for the past 3 yrs.

¯_(ツ)_/¯ dunno man. I’m lost.

I have only bought in Ohio from dealers. They send an ohio title in my name and NY address and I go to the DMV and get it switched to NY