Registration suspend on new car? WTF?!

I went to the DMV today to put my new car on the road and they told me that the registration is currently suspended from the previous owner (my Mom) . I had no Idea and I talked to my mom and she had no idea. I guess she forgot to turn in the plates once the insurance was taken off the car. So the registration was suspended in January due to insurance lapse. So now I need to go and turn in the plates and then see how long the registration is suspended. My question is, what happens next? I was under the assumtion that if the car is sold, then the registration is clear for the new owner (me). Anyone have ANY idea what happens from here? I NEED to get this car on the road but im at a loss of what to do. I have searched around the DMV website but they have maybe 3 sentences about suspended registrations and none of it pertains to my problem being the new owner of registration suspended vehicle.

each day the plates werent turn in you have 2 options…

pay $8 a day or just wait it out …

Does anyone know if this suspension would carry over if I were to register this out of state like in FL? Or is it just a suspension in NYS?

this happened to my friend recently also. Basicly his mom let the insurance slip and the car couldnt be driven for like 30days. He couldnt register the car in his name or anything till the suspension period was over.

this happened to me two summers ago, i had a truck. let insurance lapse. stopped driving it, then went back to put it on the road like 88 days later, i couldnt register THAT vehicle for 88 days or pay the $8 x 88days. I waited.

Well what if I bought the car from someone who let that happen, do I have to pay for their mistake? I have to wait out the period of time before I register it? I would assume that it woulnt pertain to the new owner.

You couldnt register the car till the time passed. Again with what happened to my friend. The car was in his mom’s name and after this happened he just wanted to put the car in his name so he didnt have to worry about his mom doing that again, but the DMV told him he couldnt register it till the suspension was over.

Thats soooo stupid. Im not even allowed to have the car in thr driveway without plates in my town. If it doesnt have plates, its considered junk and the village can legally tow it out of your drive way. I dont know what the DMV expects someone to do in a situation like this. And yes I know that if my mom wasnt such an idiot, i wouldnt have to deal with it but i just think its rediculous. Just another way for the DMV to make money.

damn thats a longgggggg time yoooo

See if someone has some old plates you can borrow. (to be able to leave it in your driveway)

No I got it registered no problem. I told them that I bought it off some lady and they were cool with it. As long as you dont tell them that you buy it off of your sister or your mom then you shold be ok if you ever find yourself in my situation.