rental property project

$5k in materials can go a long way toward adding curb appeal

Trim nailer sniper shotrules! haha

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

ps, looks great

I don’t recommend doing the roof solo.

but i already bought 50 cases of liquid nails to glue it down with…

seriously though the plan would be to attack it one roof face at a time. none of them are so huge or complex that they would take more than a couple of days to tear off and install with 1 person if materials were already on the roof…or if i can find one of those nifty ladder elevator deals on craigslist

there is only one layer of roofing up there now, so the no tear off option is also there…but that makes me feel dirty

Lol maybe if you were flipping it 2 layer it

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

Get a roof top delivery and move it around up there as necessary. Your body will thank you. Do a tearoff so you can be sure you’ve got two courses of ice and water and install your ridge vent. I would use Elmer’s wood glue though.

i’ve spec’d out a few projects- university stuff- with full grace ice shield over the whole roof…part of me wants to do that…but i know it only matters 2’ from the edge…i have been seriously looking over craigslist for one of those trucks with the lift bed for roofing…like i said, i have a few months to mull it over. in any case i think roofing is 10x easier than siding so besides the ever present possibility of falling to my death it shouldn’t be as hard as the siding was

Actually it’s 2’ from the exterior heated wall which ends up usually being 1 course @ 3’ wide. I run two courses for peace of mind cause you never know how snow may drift and settle, or how well insulated the home may be. After that, I use the new generation of “Tyvek” style vapor barriers, mostly for their durability and non-slip grip under foot.

Many suppliers offer a conveyer or knuckle delivery for a minimal charge, and the driver helps from the ground. No easier way to do it thus far.

yeah i was figuring on 2 courses of the expensive stuff before switching over. do all the rakes and valleys the same. luckily this place has a gigantic attic so the heat doesn’t impact the roof too much. i’m somewhat pump about buying a nice roofing harness…my dad keeps telling me to get one…even though i used to help him with roofing when i was a kid with absolutely no sort of protection…fun times

Rakes not really important for ice / water. Set roof jacks and 2 x 6’s on the edge and you can pretty much walk away from a harness…if you choose. I have a bajillion jacks if you want to borrow. I can also hook you up on product and tearoff contact, if you desire.

got to remember this is down in PA. i know usually the rakes don’t matter due to good old gravity but i find that wind can change all of that. i figure i’m putting a 50 year roof on if i can so i’ll rubberize as much roof as is economical.

when i was a kid helping my dad do our roof i actually slipped down the roof and went over the edge…luckily there was a plank just off the edge…scariest feeling i have ever had…but justification for why i think it is so funny that my dad is so concerned about my safety equipment now

Oh yeah right, PA. Not a fan of heights myself but gotta do what ya gotta do. Slip on some myself. No deceleration trauma yet.

my wife hates it, but i do sort of want to get a nice harness and go over the edge at least once