Restoration and "sand" blasting

I wasn’t sure were to put this so, here it is.

My company uses a vendor called DURA PLATING INC.
The product (dura plating) we buy is a plating that offers very good wear charactristics(sp).
I found out today that this company also offers a type of blasting service to remove rust, stains, etc from metal.
The great thing about it is that it does not damage the metal like sand does and it does not stain like chemical stripping does.
I believe it is called vapor blasting.
The process uses a fine powder that is mixed with water.
Cort showed me a part that was blasted and it was much, much smoother than sand blasting
in fact, the part was ready for paint after blasting!
Anywho, I thought this was a great product/service for guys restoring cars.
The guy’s name is Cort Knodel.
The location is right across from JP Fitzgerald’s in Hamburg behind Vara’s Cleaners.
Hopefully he can help the restoration guys.

metal damage all depends on the type of media being used to clean the metal…most people call it sand blasting when reality sand blasting is a form of media blasting…and there are many different types of media…aka different powders to use that wont damage metal

^Yeah, That’s what this guy uses.
I guess the water “holds” the powder.

Water with media blasting? Hrmm. I’d have to think that one over. My very first thought was " Blasting wet abrasive on to metal… it will make it rust heaven!" But, I guess if there’s an additive or something, just never heard of a wet system like that.

Sounds pretty cool, I may have to look this guy up soon for my fox body. Thanks :tup:

I have seen some of the stuff he’s done. He’s using real fine glass bead with water. We can get the same results with soda blasting.

yea, I’m not sure how that does less damage than using the proper media with media blasting… Basically it sounds like a lower pressure water jet (Which is used to cut metal for those who don’t know what that is)

I was thinking the same thing about the waterjet cut but, as far as less damage it does makes sense because you are removing much less material.
In other words you have much more control over how much you remove.
Don’t forget, the parts are ready for paint without sanding, etc.

[quote=“97FormulaWS-6,post:7,topic:26185"”]

yea, I’m not sure how that does less damage than using the proper media with media blasting…

[/quote]

Heat’s probably the factor.

Ha I know Cort, he married my neighbor. Good friend of the family.

[quote=“Schema,post:9,topic:26185"”]

Heat’s probably the factor.

[/quote]

:tup:

camarojoe used suzukiriderman’s soda blast IIRC, it’s also got good results.