Retard DMV want me to pay them $1000 for their mistake...

Well the mail came in today…and got a letter from the dmv…stating i owe them $998.32 I was like wtf?

short background.
I brought a 2003 Forester with extremely high miles a year ago. I brought it for last winter. I got it for $3000.00 with a bad headgasket and some minor issues with it.

We had the reciept for the exact amount of $3000.00 from the seller and the title.

I gave it to my fiance to register at the local dmv. she went to register it and paid the person at the counter.

done deal.

Now a year later…I get a letter stating that the audit department from for the dmv said that we only paid $300.00 for the car. I was like wtf?
There was only 1 way that this could of been wrong. the dmv employee typed in $300.00 instead of $3000.00. How was i supposed to know that…

Now the letter came back at states that i have to pay the full blue book price of the car $8400.00 sales taxes…

Which amounts to the close $1000.00

I have all the reason to tell them its not my fault that our employee messed up the numbers…so you telling me. if I walked into a store and brought a brand new car and at the dealership instead of writting down $100,000 they put down $10,000 im liable for it the other sales taxes when they "happened to stumbled upon it a year later? when the car i no longer in my possesion sold about 4 months ago.

What is everyone suggestion?

Mail them proof of paperwork and the receipt along with the correct difference in tax…

dont have the reciept for it o…im screwed there.

or you go into a the dmv and get a duplicate title. and instead of charging you $20 for the duplicate title. they charge you $2.00 and a year later they gonna ask you to pay the $18.00 back?

so let say yo brought a $50,000 car from your grandfather for $5000. they are gonna make you pa the $45000 in difference?

still dont make any sense. lol

With the hard economy right now i dont want to pay them difference anyway. i still say they did the mistake not me. i didnt type in $300.00 instead o $3000.00

they have the receipt … tell them you want a copy … they keep it when it get registered

I think if you can prove that you no longer own the car, you should be able to get out of paying. also there is no way they should be able to force you to pay tax on the full blue book value. that’s just ridiculous

also, I don’t expect everyone’s spelling and grammar to be perfect, but you bought the car. Not brought it.

This is where I would just give them the middle finger and laugh.

The DMV did this with my new car, they registered it twice in the system somehow and charged my checking account for two amounts of $402.00, so $804.00 total. They wouldn’t admit their mistake even though I had an account summary from my bank account that cleary showed the DMV transaction. To make it better, my account overdrafted and they would not give me ny plates.

Week later after calling Albany and bitching to high up people it got fixed and they even paid the overdraft fee.

I suggest you do the same if the DMV office is of no help. No offense but the employees working the stations are about as smart as fresh dog shit.

PM Pauly, I am pretty sure he works for the dmv and would know what to do.

can your fiance produce any proof that she actually paid the DMV the tax for $3000? Her banking or credit card statement, perhaps?

we usuall only pay with cash no check or anything to support that. and let me its been 1 years. i dont keep that shit lol

needless to say. the bill of sale was for the $3000.00 it was a typo on the part of the dmv employee.

did you pay tax on 300 or 3000?

Lesson 1…KEEP PAPERWORK.

Other than that they can F themselves. After a year I would sure as shit tell them where to go. Not you’re error and not caught in a reasonable timeframe. Peace out. LOL

I had a similiar thing happen to me in Wisconsin to a vehicle a couple years ago. I said eff it, and called em back and said it was a gift, and I thought I had to put a number down. They asked for a letter so the “former” owner typed a letter saying it was a gift. Instead of me oweing money to the DMV, they had to refund me for my overpayment.

We have a friend who two years ago purchased a 2004 4x4 chevy truck with 37K miles salvage, already fixed and everything been driving it for a year or two gave a receipt for $50. Lol

I’d tell them no way.

What?
The receipt for registering ?
They keep the title and bill of sale.

Pauly has nothing to do with this part of the dmv. I believe he does complaint investigations against dealerships.

Your pretty much screwed. Tell them to F-off and see what happens next time you hand your license to a cop when you get pulled over.