Everyone Please read!!!!!!

This goes out to everyone who has purchased a vehicle and registered it through DMV (EVERYONE) !!!

A little background to this story:
I bought my 2002 Explorer back in Oct. for $4XXX. When I went to register the car I/you have to fill out the tax form in which you enter the amount you paid. Now, this is something I’ve done a couple of times and I’m sure MOST of you have done at one point or another… I entered a low $$ to save on the taxes ( cmonn, seriously who hasn’t dont it??) Well, I got a letter today from the NYS dep of taxes and finance stating that I’ve been audited! Shit!! It must have thrown a red flag i guess.
Somehow, I have no idea at all thet found out but they said that I owe $320 including fines/surcharges to cover the taxes I did’t pay! I have/had 20 days to send the $ in or they will pursue further action. BTW for you that dont know, this is a fellony if not corrected!!
So for future reference. Just pay the damn tax, bc you never know and it really could come back to bite you in the butt. I have to pay this right before I go away on vacation/I’m out of work bc my broken collar bone.

-Dan

blows man, good thing i didnt throw up a red flag, the 240 was the first car i spent over 400$ on haha ill be sure to fill out the apers acordingly even though im broke as shit, good luck gettin it straightened out

ouch :frowning:

if you don’t mind me asking, what did you say you paid for it?

i guess im one of the lucky ones that didnt get caught i wrote $900 on mine!:rofl

you have to pay fair market taxes on vehicles 10 years or newer so 99+. anything older, you can get away with paying “what you bought it for”

Couple questions:

Did you fill out DTF-802 (Statement of Transaction for Sale of Motor Vehicle) to certify the sales price for taxation purposes? Or just fill out MV-82 and turn that in?

God I hate the term DTF-802 they were on backorder for about 4 months at work and people would not stop calling us and bitching about it even though it was the company that prints the forms taking there sweet ass time getting them to us and not our fault for not having any. Anywho yeah on newer cars you have to pay (as stated before) market value tax on the vehicle. Which I find is BS because if your buying a beat up newer car as a fixer upper project theres no way you should have to pay the same taxes as someone who bought one for much more in good shape.

Time for another American Revolution :vlad

just another way the Wonderful State of New York gets you hard earned money

are u blonde sully?

I’m suprised they let you get away with it at the DMV itself…

When I registered my 2001 Grand prix I dident even pay anything for it… It was an even trade, but only dealers can “trade” vehicles so my dad put in the ammount of 400 dollars…

Well soon as she brought it to the lady, she charged him 200+ dollars for taxes on the book value of the car, about 3 grand… My dad said he dident even really pay for the thing, but obviously had to put something down because hes not a dealer…

She said it doesnt matter because the car is newer bla bla bla, you have to pay the sales tax on it thats probably already been paid on the car 2-3 times already…

I love how new york state gets the sales tax multiple times… :wierd

^ yeaI dunno. Its pretty dumb, but whatever…

u need tohave the pink form signed by the p/o and have him sign how much you “wanna” pay. If that is filled out ur good. I got raped on taxes for the blue golf. 450 itcost me :frowning:

Tried it pete…

Dident work…

o well, I guess the lesson learned is- Don’t F@#$ with NYS because they will F#$% you back twice as hard…

Amen

I thought it was 8 years? They probaly changed it because DMVis ghey. Anyways they gave me shit when I registered my 98 Legacy a few years ago, same thing that it wasnt old enough. But it was the year it would be 8 years old, 2006, so I argued it and eventually won. I had payed 1800 for it, but had a bill of sale for 500. OP how much did you try to mark it down, if you dont mind me asking?

buy more guns.

haha about $3300 …might have been a little to extreme lol

I put that i payed 2k for my civic when i bought it, thing books like high 7k. Im prolly going to get fucked too…