Taxes On Used Car

Im buying a car from a private seller, im only financing some of it, what sort of leway do you have on the amount you claim u bought the car for, i realize u cant say u bought a 28k car for 10k, but as long as its within a realm, they shouldnt give you too much shit about it right?

say buying car for 28, and saying it was 23? (could say it had a bad trans)

i read the DMV website and they say they use purchase price OR fair market value according to the NY tax and finance tables (which i cant find online)

I always lie about what I paid for. I said my 01 A4 (bought for 11.5) that I bought it for 1k. The dmv doesnt even look at you or give a shit as long as its filed there. For all they care is you make their life easier.

I’ve had sellers refuse to lower the price, so I just get home go to the DMV fill out a new bill of sale, scribble their sig for a lower price and boom its fine. They DO NOT check your lien for the amount.

I’d say a 28k car, depending what it was to not look suspicous 10k would be a safe bet. But depends on the car. Most people at the dmv don’t know the difference between a 2000 Chevy Blazer and a 2006 Chevy Tahoe… so you could mark whatever you want.

yea but when i waslk in there and slide BMW across the desk most of em will get all crooked aat it… i was gonna do 20k to just avoid hassles

They will give you shit on most cars. They gave me a lot of shit about my car and i didn’t even lie. It was just a real good deal and they didn’t believe me at first. Book value was about 21K I got the car for just under 11K. Not until they realized it twas from a dealer did they give up.

well, 93dx–hatch purchased a used 96? a4 for like 4Gish??? when he went to the dmv they tried to make him pay FAIR VALUE of like 6g. Dan had to bring the previouse owner in with him for proof. Sooooooo, no you probably wont get away with it. I guess its gunna depend on whether or not you get e teller that doesnt give a crap, or one that loves there job and likes to play god with your wallet.:slight_smile:

what was the KBB value of teh car? turbociv?

my brother had a 99 explorer written up for 1500 bucks.

No problem.

Well in NYS since the sales slip from the seller doesnt mean shit, you need the yellow sales form. I would take it to a small town no name place (Hornell would work since they don’t know the difference or give a shit) and register it.

Mark a 28k car as 10k, go to Hornell to register it and save yourself about 1000 dollars.

Or to be Mr. Honesty, just have the seller write you a lower sales slip, take the yellow paper with you to VA, have him sign all the proper ish. If VA has the price on the title sold for (I know some of the Southern states do) have him fill that out too so they believe you.

Other than that, I’d just say… yellow paper + sales slip incase they fuck with you = ok.

I have never had any problem ever with lying about the cost of the vehicle. My recent one for my Subaru I think Sam wrote it for 1k, cuz I only paid like 88 bucks when I registered it or so.

when i registered my sled i said i bought it for a hundred dollars fuck the dmv just say you bought it off a friend if they gave you shit

^^^^ thank you, someone else who knows the dmv is a bunch of douchebag money grubbers.

Anywho, just lie, save yourself money and feel good.

I honestly dont remember the specifics. I just remember it was fucked up. you should pm dan, im sure he is more then willing to explain what happened.

Its a private sale, so there will be no “yellow skip” just a bill of sale from the owner and a title on the bill of sale i can have him write whatever i want and leave him a copy for the actual cost just incase he has a problem with that (dunno why he would)

i had the Z down for like 1200 bucks or something along those lines…not a problem

Depends on who you get at the DMV. There are plenty of idiots that work there. Perhaps try one of the DMV offices is the southern tier (seriously)

x…

The state allready got paid when it was purchased new… they can :cjerk: as far as i’m concerned

make sure you have this filled out
https://ezvisit.dmv.state.ny.us/a1/ezvisit/DTF-802.pdf

https://ezvisit.dmv.state.ny.us/a1/ezvisit/webintro.asp

my mom sold my sister a car for $1 and they didn’t say anything to her.

I second this guy.

I bought my wrx for around 15K and wrote the reciept for 6 and wrote damaged as is.

for all they know the car could have needed new paint,body parts ect…

My sister just bought a '99 Legacy. $200. My '69 Mercedes 250? $200. '88 Town Car? $50. The new $50 title fee = I’m not giving them a penny more than I have to.

anybody have any suggestions on a specific DMV office?

I have heard of people having problems, the guy I bought my s4 from said he tried to save a few bucks registering his pacifica at like a 10K difference. He said they caught on and made him come back and pay the difference. I dunno you can always just say it was a mess but driveable. I think anything over 10 years old can be registered for less than a grand.

I got away with murder when I registered both my cars.