Richard and the fence

So I decided that now was as good a time as any to apply another coat of Thompsons to the fence. It was starting to get that grey weathered look which I’m not a fan of.

Due to limited time I decided to just get the gate and the section that ties my fence into my floppy labia neighboors fence today.

I should have taken some before and after pictures or just done one section completly and not the other for comparing, but I’m an idiot as most of you already knew.

The firs thing I did was sand the pickets to remove the grey area and get down to clean wood. I used 60 grit with a little DeWalt orbital sander and it really did a nice job in getting the grey gone. I also sanded the tops of the pickets and made sure I sanded the dog ears as the tops take alot of abuse, especially the gate section where my dog likes to jump up on and bark at people, but run away if they come to the house.

After the sanding I vacuumed the dust from where the metal frame meets the 2x4 nailing edge and then took out the leaf blower and blew off all the remaining dust. I then got out a tack cloth and went over the lower most section as when it rains the rain kicks up dirt which gets on the bottom of the fence.

When I started it was pretty faded as this section is in the sun pretty much all day. I did apply Thompsons to this section in 07 when I put this section up(this was done a year after I did the back yard) but I did not apply it in 08 like I wanted to.

Here are some pics

Doing the inside is a pain in the ass compared to the outside. I had my GF help me and she did the outside where all she did was use a roller while I had to use brushes for all the different “sections” due to the nailing edges and the metal frame of the gate. And yes, I was wearing the towel you see on my head and neck to avoid getting sun burned.

Here you can sort of see the difference in what I have done versus the bottom most that is yet to be stained. The area that was the most grey from weathering was the middle of the first two sections along with the top 6 inches

The outside(the easy side)

Done with one section of the fence, not too much left to go:meh:

Fuck me running thats a shit ton left to do!!!

My “helper” bailed on me to lie on the central air vent

So I said “F it” and did what I would rather be doing instead of working around the house

Hoped on this and rode to Holland Speedway for Wednesday night track nights

Did an ass kicking workout and then rode back.

So, to summarize Richards day.

Got shit done around the house and got to have some fun Richard time

I wanted to play with this, while naked, but got shot down:(

Oh Richard…

Thats alot of work. Try borrowing a pressure washer. You’ll be surprised how well it works. I do my folks deck with a pressure washer to lose the gray, then i get the pump up yard/fertilizer thing out (after dry) fill w/ thompsons and apply

Krant they make products that removes the greyish tone to the wood. All you do is brush it on and powerwash it off. I used it on my deck and it took the grey right out. Also thompsons water seal sucks, I use a CFW clear and it works/looks great.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100209761

Thats alot of fence to do Rick :banghead: Looks good soo far

Still amazed by how far you ride you bike sometimes :tup:

LOL @ getting shot down.

My dad told me about applying it with a pump but it seems to me that I would get runs and shit with the pump and then I’d have to get out the roller so why not just do it with a roller in the first place was my thinking. How does the pump method work? Nice even coverage? I was thinking of powerwashing the fence, but I didn’t want to wait for it to dry before I sealed it.

Does the CFW last longer then the Thompsons or do you just liike it better? I really like the way the Thompsons makes my fence look, just wish it lasted longer. But, it does take an absolute beating with the sun and then winter and my dog REALLY beats the tops of the pickets when he jumps up on it.

Yeah, the “long” side it looking quite daunting right about now. I wish the damn weather would cooperate so I could get more done, last night I put tarps over it as it sprinkled a bit.

I’m paying the price today for the ride I did last night. What made it worse was the 2 guys I rode with thought I left when I went to grab a water so they leave, thinking I’m ahead of them and absolutely hammer to try and catch me. So, for the whole way from Holland to OP I’m trying to catch 2 strong riders. I finally caught them up the back side of Jewett Holmwood, I was doing 32 down center to catch up to no avail.

CFW is supposed to be good for three years for decks, 5 for fences. I did both last year. The fence still looks as good as the day I put it on. I doubt a deck will hold up as nice with our weather. Mine is covered so it doesnt see the full effects of the elements.

Thanks for the info Spencer, I’m definately going to look into CFW for the back sections as they are the longest. I don’t find too much fun in applying stain every year.

they have these new things out called cell phones. not like you would answer it anyway:mamoru:

Nice yard :tup:

and power washers FTW…we rent one every other year to do our deck.