Thanks for the fence neighbor!

Came home from work last night to find this pice of garbage hugging my driveway. Yep, my neighbor had a big ole white vinyl fence put up not 2" off my driveway:mad: I checked my survey and it appears that near the garage the fence may be on, possibly over, my property line.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k21/deener50/0324090834a.jpg

I can understand putting up a fence, I’m not dumb. However, I really wish she would have had the courtesy to do what I have on my property, and what her neighbor did as well. Check out this pic below, notice how the driveways have a nice row of hedges that seperate the drive from the yard? REALLY would have been nice if she could have done the same thing so I could have at least put in some shrubs or hedges to offset the ugly. By simply “reversing” the install of the wall this could be accomplished.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k21/deener50/Hedges.jpg

Assuming this fence encroaches onto my property, does anyone know what the best course of action is to pursue this? Do I have a case here, or am I being overdramatic? I think this thing is ugly, confining, and cheap looking. I’m a bit worried about how it may affect my home value.

You’re gonna need a recent / current land survey with a raised (official) seal before you go fighting this in record.

and, thats a pretty shitty thing to do on his part

Is that thing from playschool? Like Nikuk said have someone survey the property before you go out guns-a-blazzin’.

whose land is that between the driveway and his house? that little little strip there

he should have talked to you first just to be nice.

grab a survey and figure out the deal, then nicely request he remove the fence from your property.

go from there.

I have the survey from when I bought the house a little over 4 years ago. I plan on being civil about pursuing this…my initial thought is to do some background research to make sure I have some rights with this on/near my property line. Then, give her the facts (if she is at fault) and tell her I’d even be willing to do the labor to 180 the wall and plant some green.

And yes, this thing looks like it came from a toy company…it’s hideous.

depending on the age of your neighborhood and if they’ve been destroyed over time, property corners usually have mag nails or concrete monuments in the ground to mark them. If you can find those you might be able to guesstimate whether the fence is over the property line or not and if you should pony up the $$ for an official survey.

I’d had to post up the survey, will do that tomorrow. What it shows is that I hold a little sliver of that land near my driveway. I can’t tell exactly how much, it’s definitely under 12"…but it’s something.

Also, this is a single 50 some year old bitter woman who owns the house…

don’t worry about the looks. you can easily add some vines or roses on your side…

I would get it moved as far as you can, and don’t you pay one penny. this is what she gets for not talking to you first.

what township?

you could always tag up “your” side of the fents …

yes, i spelled it like that on purpose

We have the same style fence on our property (not the same situation) and I hate it.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j151/Katieboo4x/midol.jpg

You live in the burbs. Deal with it.

This is so close to my driveway I don’t think I can grow a seed of grass. But I hear where you’re coming from.

Buffalo…specifically Kaisertown, house built in 1940.

Ha! A friend here at work already took care of that:)

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k21/deener50/TAGGED_SHO.jpg

Put yourself in my position. You have an ugly fence encroaching onto your property…you’re worried about how this may affect property value. I don’t feel this is a deal with it scenario…

Did they dig post holes for this one and install it without you even knowing?

You could fight it. I know I had to get a permit from the city and also they had to come and inspect it after I installed mine.

I’d ask her first, but it’ll be expensive to redig the whole and reinstall it. Or the company that installed it will be liable for that if they didn’t do their paperwork.

They did a crap job too since they have a decent gap towards your garage.

It’s a tough call, even if you are in the right. Do you really want some old single bitch calling the cops every time you do the slightest thing wrong because she’s pissed about the fence thing?

I’d probably just be glad I don’t have to look at the bitch and get some vines or something to start growing on it to make it look better.

If you’re really worried about the property values find out if it’s illegally on your property, and how long you have to contest it. If you’re allowed to contest it at any time just wait until you’re thinking about selling and then make her move it or tear it down.

Its an ugly fence and if its on your property have it moved, but I think I would prefer the separation by fence.

lease your land to her for $50 / month :smiley:

OMG! that mural pic made me spit on my screen! sheer genius!!

On the fo real, its a nice fence, you now have privacy on his dime, win.