Neighbor issue with his fence.

To keep it short we moved into our house 3 years ago and at that time my neighbor stated to me that he was going to fix his (leaning) fence. Well, as of today… he has not fixed his fence.

It wasn’t until about 2 months ago, his dog came into my backyard under his leaning, gapping hole at the bottom, fence that ticked me off. Now I have a small child who plays in the backyard and I want him and us to be safe, so I went to him and asked him to fix his fence because A.) it’s leaning about to fall down B.) nails are protruding on my side of the fence and C.) his damn dog keeps entering my backyard. Well his fix was to just put a few 2x4’s at the bottom, keeping the dog out. Shortly after he “fixed” the fence (aka applied the 2x4’s) the 2x4’s were removed. I was then pissed off, because the dog had an entry way to my backyard. So I called the town of cheektowaga and had the inspector come out to my house and he stated that the fence was sturdy however he will issue my neighbor a violation, because of the dog entering my yard is a safety concern. Well the inspector from the town of cheektowaga got back to me to tell me that my neighbor had a contractor come out and stated that the fence is sturdy at this time, and that my neighbor will fill in at the bottom of the fence with dirt (even though the dog died recently) and for me to hit the nails back on his side that are protruding.

Well now I am back at square one here, and I’d like to know what options I have because my neighbor’s fence is leaning to the point where it is trespassing. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can and cannot do?

Thanks!

With the town inspector and a contractor both saying the fence is sturdy I’m not sure how much you can do other than pound the protruding nails back as suggested.

Buy a 12 pack and help him fix it? That way there isn’t any tension and you both end up happy.

I have nothing to add here except I find it funny you can see the lean on that fence from google maps. Also, your neighbor seems like a douche.

Good luck with everything.

taking it a step further, how much would it cost to fix it yourself? it seems you are the only one here with any motivation to fix it, so instead of creating an enemy, it might be best to spend $100 to just fix it.

Probably too late for the amicable fixes now that he had the code officer write him up.

Pretty sure if you show up with a 12 pack now he’s going to tell you to go drink it with your buddy the code officer and shut the door in your face.

Beer my friend… can go a long way.

Wait for a windy day and go out and make it “accidentally fall” and then he will have no choice but to put a new one up.

It’s just annoying that my backyard is small enough… and he has his fence leaning in.

*fixed

Looks like the pool is above ground. So with no dog your neighbor doesn’t even have to fix it.

If I was your neighbor I’d be pissed you didn’t talk to me about fixing the fence more then causally and proceed to get the inspector on my ass. Knowing that you like the fence being there to keep your kid in, I’d probably take the fence down and call child services ever time a child was trespassing on my swing set.

According to the OP he DID talk with the owner about the fence a couple times previous to calling the inspector.

Start sunbathing in a speedo in the backyard, or just throw parties every weekend.

Yes… I did go over and ask him to fix his fence… that is when he placed the 2x4’s in place. I was actually thinking on getting a banner made with a middle finger on it pointed towards his house… so everyone will see it when thye go into his backyard. On the banner it will state “fix your damn fence and I’ll kindly remove this banner!”.

How’s that sound?

Fix it. Or put up your own fence butting up against that one effectively holding that one up.

Yes because incendiary insults and behavior like that are the BEST way to motivate people to do something!

This guy sounds like an asshat, but I doubt anything you do now will motivate him to fix it. He’s going to leave it the way it is out of spite. Pound the nails back in and get on with your life.

Putting any money into that piece of shit would be like trying to make Titanic sea worthy. Put up your own fence and be done with it.

Listen to the town and pound the rusty nails back in. Let the hammer slip cutting your hand on a rusty nail.
Then call channel 2 and tell them you got a story for them “2 on your side”
:wink:

That blows, I’m not sure if it would work for you but my neighbor is a cheap a$$ and wouldn’t fix his fence. The guy next to him (not me because I’m equally cheap) told him he was putting up a new fence and that he should pay for half. They split the costs and have a nice fence up.

I’d just go fenceless but that’s me.

Don’t get a banner get a statue.
http://6effebbb3ff85f9ef464-ef3e6ebb71dfe2b80e4cd578813fe587.r83.cf3.rackcdn.com/5393924-Man-Builds-Middle-Finger-Statue-in-Tribute-to.jpg

This…

This is exactly why I moved to the boonies.