Rim Selection

Im looking at buying a set of rims for my 240 but before i do i’d like to see if you guys can answer a couple of questions for me. First off i’ve seen people use 17’s in front and 18’s in the back. What advantage does this have if at all?? And what is offset and what offset would be best front and back for a drift setup? Also how big can you go before having to roll your fenders? Oh and where can i buy rims online from a canadian company? Any help with these issues would be appreciated. Thanks

Wow.

I don’t know where to begin.

“And what is offset and what offset would be best front and back for a drift setup?”

Offset has nothing to do with drifting. Offset is the measure of distance between the mounting point of your wheel hub and the exact middle of the wheel.

This is your wheel:

|----|-:-----|
F…H.M…B

F= Front of wheel (facing the street)
H= Hub mounting point, The part with the 4/5 holes.
M= Exact middle between F and B
B= Back of wheel (facing suspension)

Offset is the distance between H and M.

Id like to add a question to this.

Are 18-inch rims practical for a daily driven, weekend racer or are 17s the way to go? I will be doing mainly lapping session, not much drifting.

Refering to S14s BTW.

18 inch tires are $$$$$.

IMO, 17’s are more functional, $ wise and weight wise.

Go with the 17’s of you want function.

16" or 17" depending on the usage of the car. If you’re like pure track, dori dori drift madness speeedooooh racer go 15s, but otherwise 16-17 is fine. 18 is too big for a 240 imo, some will disagree ofcourse, but that’s just my opinion.

You don’t go out and buy your ingredients, without knowing what you are
going to cook first.

Same goes with cars.

What are you cooking?

Hrm, I must be a poet to come up with shit like this. :shock:

clearly you have no idea what you’re talkinga bout.

For an S14 the most efficient size IMO would be 17"

18" works fine too, although heavier the upside is that there will be zero sidewall deflection… well just about anyways

Look at all the touring cars that run 18s

Cheap heavy 18’s will really slow you down in a KA, if you have ++200whp then it won’t be so bad but you will notice the car will be faster if you run lighter rubber/rims. 17’s seem to be pretty decent for the street and light track driving and they also give you some sidewall to absorb potholes with.

Forgot to add:

Generally, offset is a useless number without the width of the wheel. You need to have both to make calculations.

16’s are the way to go…lightweight, much cheaper and if you have good tires, the stiffness in the sidewalls will be more than enough for your car to handle well at the track.

But bling with 17’s or 18’s if you want!

i think they are cooking rice…