Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV and other alternatives to cable

I see that there have been some threads in the past about this subject but they are a few years old and technology has progressed.

I am interested in ditching my cable provider and was looking for suggestions on an alternative and some experiences. What did you like and what did you not about your choice.

Thanks!

Use my chromecast almost daily.

I still have cable, but find myself, more often than not, watching Netflix. I’m pretty pleased with Netflix most of the time, but there are shows that I watch on Discovery’s Velocity TV that I can’t seem to find anywhere else…

I use roku and ps3. I’m signed up with netflix, amazon prime and i have a homemade fractal tv antenna that picks up all local stations available. I use the $14 time warner internet that runs two phones and movies on both tv’s without buffering.

Any sling TV subscribers?

love my Apple TV

I have chrome cast and a Amazon fire stick as well I find myself using chrome cast the least but I don’t think I ever gave it a chance I’m setting it up in my office space I have been working on

We ditched Directv about 6 months ago after ~10 years of service. We bought roku streaming sticks for 3 TV’s and had an Xbox One in the great room already. Don’t have any complaint so far and wished we would have switched sooner. We do pay for Hulu Plus and Netflix, so we are paying $15 vs $100 a month. 95% of the shows we watched are either one or the other, never any connectivity or streamig issues and roku remote is very simple to use.

Word on the street is that Apple is going to announce a new Apple TV on June 8th with expanded services and apps/games. So that should end up being pretty cool.

Other than that, I’m using an Amazon Fire TV and really like it. I also use an Apple TV on a different TV, it’s good but apps are currently pretty limited.

We cut the cord probably about a year ago and haven’t looked back. Netflix and Hulu Plus satisfies the MAYBE 1 hour per day of TV that we watch.

Thanks for the input so far, it’s all helpful.

i have a jailbroken Apple TV 2 with XBMC, basically I have access to every tv show and movie ever created…

It’s awesome…but does suffer from some bugs from time to time… I tried cutting the cable completely, but Comcast likes to make bundles cheaper than just high speed internet.

If there was a way to watch live sporting events on something other than cable, i’m all ears (in HD)

I’m using Amazons fire TV stick and a Vizio Co-star that I use with a slingbox. I like having Fire TV since I have amazon prime and have access to their video library. The selection isn’t great but I never used it previously. I wish the remote had a keypad/keyboard though.

I only use the Co-star for the Slingbox because it comes with a nice remote to control it. I also have chromecast but I found I don’t use it since you have to use it with another device.

Lately I have been using an app called PlutoTV when I don’t know what to watch. It’s setup similar to cable and gives you the same experience channel surfing for content.

They might have an app for the remote on your phone. I have the roku remote app and you can search something in seconds. My phone is a remote for pretty much everything that’s plugged in.

My direcTV bill is 32 bucks per month for the second to lowest package in HD with two receivers.

By the time that you buy all these 10 dollar per month apps you will be over 32 bucks.

I had netflix for a few months, didn’t like it. Tried it a couple years later again, still couldn’t find content on there that I wanted to watch.

I don’t have dvr or anything extra, don’t really care for TV.

My only gripe with satellite is that it goes out when I am watching coverage of the tornado about to arrive in my neighborhood.

Time Warner is offering this thing for $10 per month for 20 shit channels. I may do that, but for now I am OK with satellite.

On my TV I basically want local channels plus maybe 10 cable channels, nothing more. I don’t need 6 religion channels, and the ISIS channel.

apple tv and netflix… IMO theres no need for cable, but theres probably 3 channels I would love to have, but don’t.

For Amazon fire stick. Do you need toto subscribe to Amazon, Hulu plus, netflix? So it’s just a hub for all those services?

I haven’t had cable in 3 years now, bought a 30 dollar hd antenna off of amazon (looks like a laminated sheet of paper), we already had a netflix account and anything else we want to watch we just stream to our chromecast. I get all my local channels, you can watch any tv show online for the most part, wife loves netflix and anytime I start to wish I had cable I remember the ~100 bucks a month I’ve saved and I go enjoy something else lol

The roku 3 has the best selection of apps currently. I highly recommend it, as we have been cable free for 4 years now.

I have dont have cable, I have chromecast and use it daily for netflix and watching movies from google play. I had tried sling tv and it was cool but I just didnt use it enough. I also subscribe to nhl center ice with a DNS service and can watch any hockey game I want (you can also use that to get NFL sunday ticket). I will never get cable because there are so many options/ways to get what you want online.

Sling TV is awesome for someone who wants to ditch cable and keep a lot of the cable channels though

You need to start an account for all of them to watch anything. Most give you a free month though.

I’ll just stick with ps3. I wasn’t sure if the fire stick had its own selection of shows.

Oh definitely just use ps3, it does the same thing. If you haven’t signed up for any of those I would definitely try the 1 month trial to see what has the shows/movies you like. Amazon prime is alright, but it’s nice that you can rent and buy shows. Prime shipping made it pretty much free because I buy every thing off amazon. I use netflix the most and I didn’t like hulu.