Roll/dig racing at an airport ?

This event popped up in my feed today.

https://m.facebook.com/events/257301054618468?ref=m_notif&notif_t=plan_user_invited&actorid=1062893216&notif_id=1461687938451063

you guys know anything about it?

Haven’t come across it, can someone find out if it’s legit??

It’s legit a car club from Niagara falls is putting it on.

The airport already let them drive around on the strip however they don’t really have any rules at this point and no timing equipment.

If they actually have a tech process I will run if they don’t I will just go and watch I don’t need some idiot in a Civic crashing into me.

The concrete is grooved its really only good for 1/2 mile stuff 1/4 mile and drag stuff is going to be tough to get a good launch on un prepped concrete like that.

Im interested…but like @LZ1 said how many asshats who cant drive will be there? I’d wanna choose who i run with. Plus whats the sense in stomping some 19year old in his hopped up wrx.

The event page mentioned grudge races, so it looks like you can choose.

Right you can choose but you can’t launch on that kind of surface…

There is a mile of runway to 10mph roll races

How many bro dozers will show up is the question

With a 4800’ runway how long can you realistically run and still have a safe shutdown area?

1/4 mile is 1320’ and those tracks typically have 2000+ feet of shutdown. NYI I know has 3000’ of shutdown but that’s the longest shutdown in the East according to Wikipedia. Of course 1/4 mile tracks have to take into account the insanity of 300mph Top Fuel type cars so that’s not really fair to compare to street cars.

A half mile is 2640’ leaving 2160’ of shutdown. I’m guessing that would be safe for typical street driven cars. I see the Texas Mile events only use 1/2 mile of shutdown so 480’ less shutdown for 1/2 mile less racing length seems ok.

Normally people just run 1/2 mile at airstrips since you can’t launch hard and they usually compare 1/2 mile mph speeds…

They also could just do 30 rolls but I think actual grudge racing from a stop there is going to be a shit show.

• Updated - - -

Half mile I should be running mid 160s im not worried about stopping

I’m picturing at some point this happening just based on the fact that some asshat from 716 is going to show up…

One of the guys who is running it just posted about requiring auto insurance on the car for tech inspection…

After that comment I pretty much decided I will watch and not race. I’m curious what they’re even doing to mitigate their liability and get insurance.

they’re probably doing nothing… it might be ok still… you can’t just avoid any idiots when you run.

I am not sure how some asshats from the Falls can get this organized but we cant…

Maybe we should make a more organized session with good timing equipment for an invite only if this place is available for another event. I have a feeling this will be the only event after the falls bros ruin in.

if it happens, it will be epic in some way… which way is the question

I’d be down to watch.

Interesting. @MPD47 and I have tried for years to set one of these up but the locations & costs involved heaved always been way too high.

I feel like this sort of thing only works in Texas.

I want to do this, but the lack of everything scares me. There is no timing equipment, so you’d really have to bring your own. I’d at least hope they mark out a 1/2 mile…

I dont think its worth any of us going to the event as it is sure to be a shitshow.

However, it may be prudent for the leadership here to call the same airport and ask them if we could organize a more regulated event that spares us watching neons v eclipse v trailblazer call outs