Ross Park Mall Makeover

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06082/675160.stm

Ross Park Mall officials are expected to unveil plans today for a makeover for the 20-year-old shopping center that will include a Nordstrom department store.

Dignitaries and the newsmedia have been invited to a gathering this morning at the 1.2 million-square-foot mall that long has been among the best sales locations in the region.

Mall officials did not return phone calls for comment yesterday, but real estate and township sources said tony Seattle-based retailer Nordstrom has been named as the replacement for the Macy’s department store – formerly a Lazarus and initially a Joseph Horne store – that closed there earlier this week.

In addition, Dick’s Sporting Goods is expected to take the empty Media Play location as the base for a new two-level store.

Mall owner Simon Property Group, of Indianapolis, may also find space for new smaller stores extending out from the enclosed center, similar to expansions done at South Hills Village and Monroeville Mall in recent years.

Nordstrom’s arrival at Ross Park Mall would end years of effort to bring the prized retailer into this market, the latest a failed attempt to get the store to anchor a massive Fifth and Forbes makeover under former Mayor Tom Murphy. Those hopes fell through at a time when Nordstrom itself was slowing new store development to turn around its own business.

Even if the mall industry weren’t constantly working to stay competitive with new shopping choices from online stores to mass discounters, mall owner Simon would have been out looking for a new anchor for Ross Park Mall.

The merger last year of Macy’s owner Federated Department Stores and Kaufmann’s owner May Department Stores created overlap in some malls, including Ross Park, which had been home to a Kaufmann’s and a Macy’s. The current Kaufmann’s is slated to become a Macy’s next fall, and the closed Macy’s would become a Nordstrom.

Elsewhere, two Kaufmann’s stores have closed at Monroeville Mall, which is owned by CBL & Associates, and at Simon’s own South Hills Village. They are being replaced by Boscov’s, a Reading, Pa., chain that is entering Allegheny County and operates more traditional department stores with toy and electronics departments and appliance repair services.

Speculation in the market was that Simon was holding out for a more upscale tenant for Ross Park. The mall operator just completed a $14 million renovation of its North Hills mall in 2000, and its own leasing materials say the property hosts 10 million shoppers annually and has sales above $400 per square foot, among the best in the region.

“It’s upscale family shopping at its finest,” according to the company’s leasing information. Existing mall tenants include Williams-Sonoma, Pottery Barn, Aveda and Le Gourmet Chef. Handbag retailer Coach is coming soon. In addition to the Kaufman’s/Macy’s anchors include J.C. Penney and Sears.

In other tinkering of its Pittsburgh-area properties, Simon has put its third area mall, Century III Mall, up for sale.

First off, who the hell is Nordstrom? 2nd do we need another dicks? If i had money i would definitly invest in them. 3rd bye bye century III.

its all Simon Malls. i dont think that CIII will go down. it is all about the PAT bus drop off at CIII. i doubt PAT bus is gonna be runnin trips from the south hills to Ross Park

my mom has been at CIII for over 24 years working at a store. she has heard storys for the past 20 years that the mall is going under. yeah it sucks but its convient. if you wear your flack jacket while shopping.

http://www.nordstrom.com/

how long has media play been closed?

haha. i dont even know the last time i was in the mall.

F malls

1. Nordstrom is a pimp ass dept store, good competition for Kauffmans/Macys

2. They are going to move the Dicks from Northway Mall (ghetto mall) to ROss PArk (good move)

3. Because Nordstroms is high-end, they require a high class restaurant in the mall or mall vacinity (Ross Park does not currently have one, food court does not do it)

4)These actions with ghettofy x10 all other malls in the area. Ross Park will be rollin high

They were on final markdown clearance before Christmas and they store closed its doors a few weeks ago…

:stupid:

the last time lory made you buy her something… probably yesterday

is it getting a Boscov’s too? like Monroeville

from what i heard …in monroeville Lazurs will be the new macys & the old kaufmanns will be boscov’s

I reward 1 point to shawn.
The score now reads shawn 1 chad 0.

more male mall threads on here:greddy:

how bout we get a lowe’s down here…I hate driving to Cranberry for that.

Whats wrong with Home Depot?

lots of things

I usually like to try and get to home depot but “I dont know if I will have enough time”

i feel like the little white frosting between an oreo when im at Century III mall

look at parkway center mall… that place has been in the process of closing for 5 years.

lazarus was turned into macys last fall and you are correct, boscov’s IS moving in this year

nothing wrong, but it would be nice to have both. Plus Lowes seems nicer, and everytime I am at Lowes I never have to hunt down someone to help me find something, they actually come up to me and ask if I need help.