Router Issue

Ok rant time…I have powerlink at my house going through a router to one wired, and 2 wireless computers. For the first 4-5 months everything worked perfectly fine. I set it all up, nothing was wrong, everyone was happy…now all of a sudden, the wired computer loses its connection to the router randomly after a couple of hours of being idle, the wireless computer disconnects/reconnects randomly, and on top of it, i cannot play any games because my ping is constantly 300+. its getting really annoying. I already reset/updated everything. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be/ help? Thanks

/rant

I honestly don’t know, but I’m hoping it has nothing to do with the Time Warner takeover…I’ve had similar probs too…

powerlink as in what? what model?

powerlink = cable internet, but hasn’t been called that in quite a while now…that is, if I’m thinking the right thing.

and sometimes routers die because they can get clogged with dust and overheat. I just NOW thought of that. I’m on my 3rd router in the last 5 years.

this router is barely 6 months old…and powerlink = adelphia cable internet

if you’ve never dusted it, or if it’s in a “high dust” area, it really could get clogged that bad that fast. if you smoke, that increases the dust, and if you are within a few feet of a vent (or up to 10 feet in it’s direct path…), that increases how much dust will get in there. I have to dust my router about 3 times a month because there’s 3 smokers in my house and there is a vent literally 2 feet away.

Not trying to force that diagnosis on you, but look into it. sometimes the most difficult symptoms are caused by simple problems and have simple solutions.

I am having similar issues with my brand new router. I called Linksys Tech Support a couple times and they tell me that it isn’t uncommon for the router and the cable model to loose sync and drop the connection up to 4 times a month.

My response was… what are they going to do about it… They Replied by saying … There is nothing we can do about it…?

1. Reset your cable modem and router - cable modems generally are cheap pieces of shit and lose good sync to the headend server, and routers (especially cheap ones) sometimes get very packet collision happy.

2. Update your router’s firmware.

3. Don’t use the router’s DHCP - assign IPs manually.

1. Setup at least one form of security: MAC filtering, or WEP, or WPA, etc.

maybe u should call the cable company…let them come to your place and re-adjust the signal with their tool…

it works for me.

I just updated my Router… i hope if fixes the problem