rpm gauge seems off?! where does the signal come from ?

ok so 89 s13 silvia rhd, ca18det motor, 5 spd 196xxx kms. car runs totally fine , boosts fine, idles fine but the tach seems to be at leaast 1000 rpms off where it should be like cruisin in 4th at 70 and “im doing like 5 grand” the speedo also looses life every once and a while but just really started acting up recently. coincidence? like cluster is on its way out? speedsensor on tranny?
is the cluster interchangable with usdm?

i have the same problem with mine, it is a 90 240 with an sr swap though. and i am not sure what is going on with the tach. from time to time the speedo needs a good “wack” and then it seems alright for a while.

If they both are going at the same time then I would say cluster, but I don’t know much :stuck_out_tongue:

I have similar issues but with my speedometer. My tach is perfect.

My speedo when I first start driving doesn’t move, and then suddenly jumps to 40, once I get to around that speed. Afterwards, on the highway, it bounces up and down occasionally around 110km/h. Weird.

is a usdm 240sx cluster interchangable anyone around hamilton have one i could maybe try?? where does the tach get the rpm reading from ??

correct me if im wrong someone but i beilieve its a single yellow w/red stripe wire from the ecu to the tach

you have to make sure you get the 1991 tachometer. that will solve your tach issues.
if you are using the single cam tachometer from the 89\90 you will not get a proper tach single.

i have the same problem on a swapped redtop. wat if youve swapped the newer tach in and still no rpm reading. i also checked the 3rd pin on the ecu (rpm signal) and got battery voltage. i bought a new after market tach and was wondering if there is a way to tap into the cam sensor signal. thanks in advance

so uh funny thing … what a strange car i washed it 2 hrs prior taking it out. so washed it around 4 , took it out at 6 thats when it acted up , 10 min drive to meet up with friends, shut it off. leave at 8 tach still acting funny, no speedo. 5 min drive to the gfs house, shut it off and left 2 hrs later, 10 min drive home. go to work the next morning 5 min drive , still acting up. leave it out in the sun all day acts fine and has been good since - i have a functional hood scoop. conclusion i got a sensor a lil wet my question now is which one?? hood scoop is more to the back right of the hood looking at it so exhaust side