RWB USA:

Is this trend going to be over just as the company sets up shop in the US?

Hide Your Aircooled Porsches, Because “RWB” Is Raping Every One Out There

When Porsche “tuner” Uwe Gemballa was found dead and wrapped in cellophane late last year, everyone in the Porsche community expressed sympathy for his wife and friends. Nobody deserves to be killed the way Gemballa was.

On the other hand, however, at least the guy wasn’t going to ruin any more Porsches. His “Mirage” 911-slant-nose-arossa-droptops were perhaps the most hideous custom supercars ever built, and Gemballa himself never really appeared to develop anything even remotely resembling an aesthetic sense. His goal in life appeared to be to simply create terrible cars, and he was reasonably successful at this. Porsche purists hated the guy. There was only one thing he could have done for us to have hated him more: he could have turned his attentions towards the irreplaceable aircooled cars once again and ruined more of them.

Which is precisely what “RWB” does.

This hard-hitting piece by former Jalop Davey Johnson covers one of the first two “RWB” cars to be built in the United States. Go read it if you care; if not, here’s the important passage.

In the past couple of years, Nakai-san’s Rauh-Welt Begriff (literally “rough-world concept”) 911s have gone from in-the-know whisper cult status to commanding respect and lustworthy drools from Porschephiles and tuner kids alike. Scotto’s always been a cat excited by new forms—the man was at the vanguard of the hi-riser movement—but he’s always wanted a Porsche. More specifically, a white 964 turbo with a Lobster Red interior, a classic case of the-car-one-drooled-over-as-a-kid made flesh. Meanwhile, he’d been as captivated as anyone with RWB’s cars during his stint at 0-60 Magazine.

The rest of the story unwinds as so: guy buys Porsche 964 Turbo and has Japanese guy hack out some hideous-looking bodywork, drop that bitch into the weeds, and basically turn what was a very complete and satisfying performance car into a rolling caricature. The car is then taken to SEMA so the tribe of mildly retarded sideways-ballcap mooks who clutter this country’s unemployment lists and convenience-store parking lots can crown Scotto as their king.

According to the never-wrong Wikipedia, Porsche built a total of 3,660 Porsche 965 Turbos. That’s not vanishingly rare, but neither is it 1965 Mustang or 2011 Camry volume. Aircooled 911s don’t seem rare, but they are. We are fast approaching the day when there will be more Cayennes on the road than aircooled Porsches of all kinds. A 1991 Porsche Turbo has already survived twenty years. My suggestion is that at that point, the owners of these cars should consider themselves caretakers, not nouveau-riche toolbags with a license to deface. These cars will all have future owners, if we don’t destroy them.

The good news? RWB’s “expertise” runs pretty shallow. Akira Nakai isn’t running Rinspeed or Ruf. He probably doesn’t understand the cars well enough to make major changes on them. Twenty years from now, a future owner of this car will be able to restore the 965 back to stock. Sure, it will cost money, particularly in the rear quarter-panels (and the suspension, which will almost certainly be ruined by the ridiculous wheels) but it will be possible.

It’s bad enough that Porsche’s legacy is under such consistent attack by Porsche itself; to have people like this RWB dude take perfectly decent, streetable classic Porsches and turn them into pallid parodies of race cars that never really existed — well, that’s just tragic. In the long run, everybody wants to see original, period-correct cars. Owners of aircooled Porsches should be conscious of their obligation to future generations. The enthusiasts of the future may not know what a proper short-wheelbase 911 looks like, or a ’79 SC, or a ’95 Turbo, unless you keep yours the way it was meant to be. If you are absolutely compelled to race an old car, go ahead — but start with a basketcase so you’re not taking a nice car off the street.

These “RWB” cars are just as ridiculous as all the “stance” garbage out there, but in this case the victims aren’t thousand-dollar Jettas or Marysville-built Accords. They are limited-production automobiles, built in small quantities under regulatory and business conditions which will never exist again. They’re precious to future generations and they should be left alone.

If you disagree… well, I hear Vanilla Ice’s Gemballa is up for sale. Just don’t expect much in the way of warranty service, okay?

i didn’t read all of that, but here is my thought on rwb outside of japan; in japan Nakai San takes your car, decides what color it should be and then builds it, you do not get to choose what he does. Although that is a difficult thing to imagine for me to allow someone else to do, since i like to work on my own cars, if he isn’t there choosing the color, naming the car and designing them, i don’t know if to me they will really be rwb cars. I still love the styling of them and i’m fine with Nakai San making more money but i’m on the fence still.

I have to disagree with the article, but that is just me. I like the RWB porsches. And if this guy is having a shit fit, he should hate the Street Rod, Hot Rod and Rat Rod world for “hacking apart” every 57 chevy, 32 ford, and everything in between.

I’m a little surprised, but I think I’m on the same page as you. I thought RWB was awesome because it was a tiny dirty little shop that build an extremely limited number of cars that looked like they could be tribute to some old Le Mans race cars.

Now, they’ve spread to 4 different countries are mass marketing the whole thing. It’s spread to the mainstream and now it’s no longer this small awesome thing that is at the center of this niche. Its now on the front page of Aol Cars/Autoblog and is the main feature of a brand launch that’s a joint venture between DC Shoes/Ken block/ and the head hauncho at the two previously mentioned websites.

It’s been bastardized and I think it’s done.

you guys sound like hipsters.

“I like the band/car/song/clothing line way before it was mainstream. Now that everyone likes it is just lame”

Can someone link the article to what happened with the Gemballa guy? Obviously murdered for some reason. I remember reading it but can’t remember details. I did like some Gemballa (interior) styling but maybe that’s the ricer in me.

I was actually on meme generator making a hipster dog poster but decided it just wasn’t worth it. lol

It’s hard not to isn’t it? Two reasons why it’s impossible to not sound like that right now;

#1 these cars are rare and the Porsche tax is real just as the RWB tax will be very soon.

#2, people pay to have this done to their car to be different, they want it to be original and therefore rare. You can’t have any of those when shit hits mainstream. (or as close as the auto industry ever comes to it sema)

X2.

not a whole lot was known. Basically he went bankrupt, soon later went missing, then they found his body before the pigs got to it.

Made someone uphappy.

If I am paying for someone to build me a car, I better be able to pick the color. What if you got it and it was hot pink with rainbow sparkles?

How much do these Porsches go for anyway?

NEW RWB WIDE BODY KITS US$18,000
―FOR PORSCHE 993―

WIDE BODY KITS
★ Front bumper
★ Rear Bumper
★ Side Rockers Pair
★ Front Wide Fenders Pair
★ Rear Wide Fenders Pair
★ GT-2 or 3.8 type wing
★ Other small parts

WHEEL US$4,000
★ SSR Front 10.5J×2
★ SSR Rear 12J×2
★ Wheel Adapter (Rear only)
(Tire Size 265/35/18 and 335/35/18)

OPTION
RWB SUSPENTION PACKAGES (Front and Rear) US$ 5,500
(We use Aragosta Suspention System)
CHAMPION WING US$1,200

SPECIAL OPTION
SIDE BIG ROCKERS ―HAKAMA― US$ 1,200
FENDER WING US$ 800
CANARD US$ 350
REFLECTER US$ 600

off RWB’s own site.

So ~$33,000 for everything that you typically see them with and obviously that leaves a lot left to do; engine, tires, etc.

Thats not bad, I thought it would be $100K+

It doesnt look like that includes paint work. You gotta add the $80,000 for the car too (well if you want a 911 turbo)

:crackup

Yea that was it. Enlisted mob help for funds never ends up well.

Actually price tag for a BN sports Blister catalog SC would be pretty close to what RWB is charging IF they are including paint in that.

Front BN bumper alone is $1600 before shipping

Fucking 95 911’s are still $80K

I can see how it sounds like that but it has nothing to do with rwb becoming more popular for me. It has to do with the quality/craftsmanship of the cars. I’m iffy about the people running the rwb brands outside of japan not building the same quality cars ar rwb japan. I hope they do and if it wasn’t for the popularity of the cars I wouldn’t of heard of them since I don’t spend my time looking up small niche shops for cars I own let alone ones I will prob never own.