S12 200sx engine advice

hey guys, as some of you may know, i picked up a S12. (actually, im in the process of picking up another one :P)

anyways, this winter, my S12 will be seeing the engine doctor for a heart transplant, and im debating on which way i’ll go.

things to keep in mind: this car will be a DD and a drift car. expect WHP to be around 350hp.

now, for choices, i could:
TWIN CHARGED CA (CA18DERT)

or

TWIN CHARGED KA (KA24DERT)

choose, and discuss plz. :slight_smile:

ps, another option is my friends RB20, which he tuned to output 400hp at the wheels on his skyline.

why twin charge?? u can get 350whp from a CA or KA with single turbo and some internal modes…:S

Why you gonna TT a small 4 banger like those motors? I can only see it if you want fast spool and in that case you would just get a larger BB turbo.

Anyway, for a nice cheap and cost effective setup, build the bottom end of a KA to handle boost and run 15psi through it. You’ll come out with a badass screamer that’s a better suited boosted motor than the CA.

if worse comes to worse, i’d just go with just a supercharger. I love the whining, and the feel of instant power (almost like N/A). I guess im used to feeling the lag in boosted cars :stuck_out_tongue:

i thought larger turbos = longer lag to spool up, even if its BB.

either way, ppl are saying KA?

Larger turbos usually does mean longer spool up, but the freer and quicker the spooling the less lag you’ll experience.

James next time you sit in my car tell me if you feel any lag. I think you’ll be surprised. Superchargers take power to make power. Turbochargers take “free” horsepower.

And yes, KA

lol, thats why i said twin charging. no chance of lag, and still regain the power loss from the super.

and yes, you do need to take me for a ride (not in a gay way, ahem). i’m still waiting to see how you REALLY drive. Ninja style :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m thinking sequential BB turbos from an s15 blacktop!

^^^ sequential… hmmm, theres an idea. it’ll cut back on the lag…
dunno much more about sequential tho, someone give me a quick schoolin :stuck_out_tongue:

i’m not to sure either. But isnt it like, two turbos a small one and a big one. small one spools for where the lag should be for the larger one. And thus you get a smooth and ever-present powerband.

Correct me if i’m wrong. But wasnt there a spec of the s15 blacktop taht had sequential BB turboes?

as far as im aware, the sequential TT’s were lined up so that one spools before the other, so that theres always boost available. when throttle is applied, one kicks in first to eliminate the lag, and the other kicks in soon after. after you let up, one takes longer to despool, leaving boost there as long as you throttle up again soon.

somewhere along the lines of that i think.

i dunno about S15’s, but i think FD3S’s came sequential. (or its a popular aftermarket upgrade).

FD3S’s did come with twin turbo from the factory. And if s15s didnt have it from the factory i’m positive its quite the common build in Japan.

misconception. Fd’s twin turbo set-up 1.5 turbos, that share an exhuast wheel IIRC

twin turboing a 4 cylinder is retarded. Unless your going to use 1 turbo thats really small. The best way to go is just with a nice t28. especially if its going in an s12 thats going to be a daily driver

wow james, you are quite the dreamer!

to twin charge these motors, you need to find a supercharger for them. as far i know, there are no superchargers that bolt onto any of those motors. so it would all be custom.

I only know of 2 supercharged SR’s and they suffer from crushed bearings because the motor wasnt designed to handle low RPM boost. you would likely run into the same problem. more-so the CA then the KA.

twin turboing a 4 cylinder is stupid. there wouldnt be enough exhaust energy to spool 2 decent sized turbos. the drag caused by 2 turbos as apposed to 1 is another factor that would deminish any of your gains. there would also be a lot of piping.

if you want to avoid lag, build a KA24, and bolt on a garret GT28RS. it would be a lot cheaper then your ideas with much better results.

or you could try and fit a VQ.

just speculating. I have no experience with nissan motors, so yeah, going on advice others give me. (i’ve seen supercharged rotaries, and they’re bad ass)

as for VQ, bleh, never been a fan of V6 or V8 engines.
I’ll let Dennis have the final word, since he’s doing the swap, but it’ll probably be a KA or his RB20, since the dam thing is lying around anyways.

ok, been thinking. how bout supercharged v8 from a camaro IROC or a caprice?

What??? Please don’t!!!
You just said you’ve never been a fan of V6s or V8s but Dennis has an I6 laying around. Now a Chevy V8?? Putting a big Chevy Motor in a small Nissan??? Please don’t. The S12 is already rare enough to have this happen to it.
The V8 will throw off the balance of that car signficantly.
A 4cyl is what that car needs. CA is lighter than the SR
Even if you must a Rotary is a better option by far.

bahaha…in an s12?

Maybe i just have bad taste, but to me the only two options for a car like that is a tastefully modded ca or sr. These are the only two options that in my mind will give you a nice reliable DD and weekend driftmobile.

Personally, if you wanna be a baller take a sr20vet and put it in there. Its semi-original and would be straight awsomeness!!!@#%*%111

sorry guys, i was drunk when i posted that. :stuck_out_tongue:
disregard that post :stuck_out_tongue:
im going KA-T, cuz dennis’ RB is worth A helluva lot more than the car itself, and i’ll probably break it.