S2000 opinions? The Miata story...

I’ve driven both a '03 Terminator and a '01 S2K. The only thing I didn’t like about the S2K was the powerband is pretty high, you have to really get that thing cranking to get to a healthy spot in the power band. Idle-5000 RPM it really doesn’t feel like there is much there. The Terminator, however, has a shitload of low-end. If it’s going to be a DD, I’d prefer the low end power, personally. Don’t get me wrong, I know the S2K won’t be getting raced all the time and would be a good daily driver, I just prefer power in a more commonly used range of the tach.

It’s a tough decision, but my personal opinion would be the Cobra. You should be able to get a higher-mile Termi (~60k) for about $20-23k.

I’m digging that Mystichrome Cobra a couple posts up… mmm.

:slap: … BE A MAN !

My S2000 runs fine, no FI needed, just a K&N and test pipe, these are not drag cars, get the s2000 for fun and a $3000 DSM and run 12’s with it then drive it in the winter.

I’m not necessarily looking for anything “fast.” Something with comparable performance to the Miata would be great (high 11’s @ ~118.)

I think it’d be attainable in the S2000 to be at that range in street trim (well, minus the E.T., anyways,) but I need to make some phone calls and get some estimations on the overall cost.

Or, who knows, maybe I’ll buy something else. I don’t think I’m going to pick up a Cobra, just because I’m not interested in making payments.

I also need to make some phone calls and find out ground clearance with an LS1 FD RX7. That hasn’t been ruled out yet, either.

what makes you think you wont have to make payments on an S2000?

First off please consider how painful it was for me to do a search for a turdstang…but I am bored at work. You can get decent 03 Cobra’s for under $25K

Here is a 03 with 78K miles for $18K

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=227084635&dealer_id=60725097&car_year=2003&num_records=25&model=MUST&systime=&make2=&start_year=2003&engine=&keywordsrep=099111098114097&keywordsfyc=Y29icmE,&certified=&fuel=&body_code=0&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=200&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=FORD&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=15236&advanced=y&end_year=2008&transmission=&doors=&max_price=25000&cardist=200

Here is a 03 with 29K miles for $23K

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=233461290&dealer_id=61467067&car_year=2003&num_records=25&model=MUST&systime=&make2=&start_year=2003&engine=&keywordsrep=099111098114097&keywordsfyc=Y29icmE,&certified=&fuel=&body_code=0&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=200&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=FORD&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=15236&advanced=y&end_year=2008&transmission=&doors=&max_price=25000&cardist=153

You should scrap the miata and throw that Ls1 into an s14 240sx or a lexus sc300.

Because I’ve seen a bunch of S2000’s go for 10-16k, depending on mileage and condition. I’ll have that, cash, ready. I won’t have 26k cash for a Cobra.

But, it looks like I’m going to have to look around some more. Looks like Cobra’s can be had a hair cheaper.

I haven’t even driven either, which I should probably do. The closest I’ve been to either was sitting in Jake’s, and taking a look at Curt’s S2000 once. :hsugh:

My s2k is bone stock and i absolutely love it, you have to realize what it is made for. You can def pick up an s2k for the price range your looking but most likely an ap1 (2 liter) i personally like my ap2 with the 2.2…granted the f20 is a great motor but the 2.2 is just funner to drive around. The ap1 is more of a track car so to speak then the ap2’s. ap2’s trannies 1st four gears are shorter and last two longer then ap1’s…

if I were you and your interested in an s2k, i would def go drive both an ap1 and a ap2

also last note the convertible is pretty cool :bigok:

Out of the choices given, I’d go with the cobra…they’re badass!

Well, outside of the powerplant, I’ll be honest in saying that I don’t want a Cobra. I agree with whoever said it before in that “it’s still a Mustang.”

I’m going to call around tomorrow and see if anyone has any used S2000’s. I can’t find any online that meet a few requirements. But, at this point, I’d just like to check one out and maybe drive one.

Also, InlinePro claims 450rwhp is possible with their kit, so I’m assuming the stock motor will handle it. So, what I’ll probably do, is piece together a turbo kit using their cast manifold, tune it, and have a quick, fully streetable, fun car.

:mrT:

Listen to this guy…

I was wondering the same thing…

Also, as far as Curt’s suggestion of the S2000 not being a race car…

I’m not looking for an all-out drag car or anything, just something quick and fun.

fuel milage should be very good in the s2k too puttin around

Yea, that’s always nice, too, although I’m not basing my decision off of it. I just think I’d have more fun in the S2000.

I should just buy this http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/car/503308022.html

I’d consider high 11’s a high performance/drag car. Especially a small rwd car you’re talking about FI’in. I’m just amused as to how upset you are that your monster miata doesn’t make a good DD in pgh. Thats what happens when you drop a CORVETTE motor in a MIATA. Much credit for the car and the swap but shouldn’t you’ve thought of this before investing all that time and money?

The car is 100% turn-key reliable, it’s just too low. While it is my fault for not looking into that one particular aspect pre-build, I would never have guessed it’d be that low. Otherwise, the car would run 100% fine as a DD.

Then again, I’m not looking for a DD. I’m looking for a car I don’t have to worry about bottoming out.

I consider high 11’s barely quick :rofl: