Sales tax

I was told that when I sell a car and after the title is transfered, there is sales tax on whatever was paid. Like, the sale has to be proven to the state and tax has to be paid on it, or something along those lines. Is this true? If so, who pays it? Also, if there is tax, is it because the car is located in Allegheny County?

any time a car is sold, sales tax must be paid. This is usually the buyers responsibility.

Fucking great. So basically I piss away a couple hundred dollars? That’s just great.

i bought my car cash and when we did the title we said it was a gift:dunno:

Whoever buys the car from you pays the tax.

ya say its a gift or it was a 100 doller car, thats what i always do

So, just tell the Notary that the guy bought the car for like half of what he really paid? That’s a good idea. Just have to remember to put that price down on the bill of sale.

You sure the buyer pays the tax Jeff? Just want to be 100% sure.

buyer pay all fees,allageny is 7% sales tax

a gift you still pay taxes on it. around here they look up the valve of the vehicle in the worse or greatest condition. when i got rid of my regal as a trade for work. they looked up the valve as 2500 bucks and no way in hell was the car worth that. the dude had to pay taxes on that figure. if you find a cool place you can lie. when i sold my bike we told them 500 bucks and all the kid paid was the taxes for htat figure instead of 4k

This is what I like to hear. Too bad for the kid buying the car.

i paid no tax on my car when i tranfured titles as a gift

So i guess on the Bill of Sale, I should put “gift” where it says price??

who are you selling it to they probley just let me put gift cuz i transfured the title from famile member

Some kid from Butler is buying it.

Trying to say it’s a gift is probably pushing it. Make it some reasonable price, but be sure you both agree on what you’re going to say.

some nottarys will not let you say its a gift unless its a family member

don’t say gift :rolleyes:

generally you can get away with smaller pricing with family, but you can’t go too far, as jeff said. the buyer pays the tax on it anyway… but the seller is responceable to write up why the car was being sold so cheap… then if something looks shady (96 whatever with 80k for $25) they’ll just audit the sale and check it out (never happens but that’s the result)

So I should just screw worrying about it and let the kid get raped on the tax? Or should I say I sold it to him cheaper and hope they don’t find out?