SBC valve spring change HELP!

i just changed the valve springs on my 882 casting heads. they are freshly rebuilt from j and l with a performance package. he put soft springs in for cam break in and then told me i need to change them afterwords. i had my whole short block assembled at BRK and they told me to swap the valve springs before cam break in. so i did. how do i check for coil bind and what else could i possibly check?

Well first off if you are running a flat tappet camshaft you will need an oil supplement like GM EOS (Engine Oil Supplement) or use a good diesel engine oil like Delvac, or Rotella T

Coil bind is something you can measure. With a valve spring micrometer and math

Example Comp 928 valve spring:
160 lb @ 1.880" - spring pressure at installed height
383 lb @ 1.250" - spring pressure at installed height
1.160" coil bind
354 lbs/in spring rate

Safely you want .060" before coil bind which is 1.160"

So 1.160" + .060" safety = 1.220"
At an installed height of 1.880" you will have ~160 lbs. on the seat and you can run a camshaft that has a lift of .660" max

Spring height can vary with spring pocket depth, retainers, locks, spring seats, shims, valve length. That is why you need a valve spring micrometer. Also every camshaft lobe profile needs a certain amount of seat pressure

at first i was like wow JnJ helping me out what a guy. and then i read it and i feel as if youre still not really trying to help.

jay go back to your moms garage, you dont know wtf you’re talking about :lol:

meh, it might just be over your head. if i felt the same way (which i do), just take it to someone who knows what they’re doing :tup:

[quote=“turbo ls1 ss,post:4,topic:35721"”]

jay go back to your moms garage, you dont know wtf you’re talking about :lol:

[/quote]

as much as everyone likes to bash eachother, im not in the mood for some fbod drama in here. im just looking for some legit answers.

basically should i just assume what i did is correct bolt em on and go? or should i take them to have them looked at?

[quote=“dirtye30,post:3,topic:35721"”]

at first i was like wow JnJ helping me out what a guy. and then i read it and i feel as if youre still not really trying to help.

[/quote]

Are you fucking stupid?

• Valve spring micrometer ($$$)
  • Spec sheet from the valve springs you are using
  • Camshaft cardor a better option would be bring someone one of your heads with the proper tools and the correct information and they will check the installed height of the valve spring and do some simple math and figure out if you are close to coil bind or not

[quote=“dirtye30,post:6,topic:35721"”]

as much as everyone likes to bash eachother, im not in the mood for some fbod drama in here. im just looking for some legit answers.

basically should i just assume what i did is correct bolt em on and go? or should i take them to have them looked at?

[/quote]

Ugh post the valve springs you are using and the specs off your camshaft card

[quote=“ly555is,post:5,topic:35721"”]

meh, it might just be over your head. if i felt the same way (which i do), just take it to someone who knows what they’re doing

[/quote]

Exactly I gave you all the information. It isn’t that I am not trying to help. It is just you don’t understand

[quote=“dirtye30,post:6,topic:35721"”]

[/quote]

i don’t know anything about it, but if i were you i’d look further into it or call the place where you originally went and ask them before you just assume its ok and then end up having to dump in more money fixing what broke afterwords

just my 0.2

o boy. if u need help, call me sir.

[quote=“4x4jimmy,post:9,topic:35721"”]

o boy. if u need help, call me sir.

[/quote]

the fuck do you know?

jay, i understood what you were saying, my point was if i had those resources available to me id use them. the valve springs were given to me by paul and i dont know specifics on the cam, its a comp cams camshaft with .480 lift. thats what i was told.

[quote=“dirtye30,post:10,topic:35721"”]

the fuck do you know?

jay, i understood what you were saying, my point was if i had those resources available to me id use them. the valve springs were given to me by paul and i dont know specifics on the cam, its a comp cams camshaft with .480 lift. thats what i was told.

[/quote]

Well using springs that you know nothing about is like playing with fire. You will get burnt. I would at least take them to someone with a valve spring tester and see if they are up to the task

FYI- as of Jan 2007 the diesel Oils(rotella, etc…) dont have the Zinc(zddp) that they used to. Thanks again fed gov.

i gave paul the cm spec sheet when i was there and he gave me those srings according to that.

[quote=“Pauly,post:12,topic:35721"”]

FYI- as of Jan 2007 the diesel Oils(rotella, etc…) dont have the Zinc(zddp) that they used to. Thanks again fed gov.

[/quote]

poop. i did not know that. ugh

Ehh, just put em on, turn the engine ove ra few times. :wink:

[quote=“Pauly,post:12,topic:35721"”]

[/quote]

Yeah that is news to me? Seeing as engine builder had an article about it a few months ago. Where are you getting this info from?

EPA required it. i saw an article in regards to it, cant find exact but this also describes it
http://www.isettaclassics.com/news/news_moreinfo.php?id=37
rotella is now CJ-4
http://www.wellworthproducts.com/tech-articles/19.html