Suspension people please for the love of god help

Ok so im having this issue with my newly installed coilovers. Im getting this sound that sound like a spring is binding while turning at low speeds, a sound you would get from a bad strut bearing but the thing is i have two brand new ones installed. This is seriously starting to piss me the fuck off. Ive had the suspension apart 3 times trying to diagnose this problem everything looks fine everything is torqued to spec. im fucking lost. Im at the point where im about to pull the coilovers and install the factory suspension.

could the drop be enough to causing a binding in the axle? i know what noise your talking about, and a cv boot that is being stretched to far could very easily make the noise

No its not a CV noise. Gimme a sec ill see if i can upload the video.

Edit:

Heres the video turn up your speakers this is me stopped while turning the wheel from full lock to full lock

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o21/yo_delprad/th_3dabe599.jpg

Sounds like a bunch of Africans beating on bongos.

I get that every once in a while in my jetta. mine also sounds like the springs binding.

the very first noise in the video and the last noise sound hella wierd.

you get the noise when you turn the wheel and its probably worse when you are not moving?

Try putting more preload on the spring or springs making the noise, worked for me. probably want the same preload on the two front springs… but not exactly necessary or even optimal.

How do i put more of a pre load on the spring?

lower it son!

on my coilovers, the spring perch is really two lock nuts. twist the top lock nut so it goes up the threaded rod (the vertical shaft of the strut/coilover/dampener), thus compressing the spring (adding preload). tighten the lower lock nut against the upper one to jam the spring perch (two lock nuts) into place.

not all coilovers are created equally. I suppose its possibly yours wont even allow you to adjust preload but that would be quite a pittiful coilover.

pics might help.

MY coils were designed for up to 100mm of lowering right now i am 5 threads from the bottom i only have one lower perch with a set screw.

these are my coils. manufacturers picture i dont have one of them on the car
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0025/9542/products/Mk5_coils_main_large.gif

well, hopefully you can see what i mean about the lock nuts, spring and threaded rod, doesn’t look like yours will allow you to adjust preload

i guess yours use the oem strut top mount?

i must say i am a little confuse by those. the spring preach needs to be secured into place? if thats the case maybe you can adjust. the orange ones are the rears? whats the pearch on the rears. mine seemed much more straight forward lol

it really does sound like the spring is popping, if the preload can’t be adjusted, maybe tighten the top nut in the center of the top mount?

i’d need pics on the car to make heads or tail of you set up.

my coilovers came as a unit, just take the old strut/spring out and put the coil over in.

Front strut goes up through the middle of the bushing I i have hand tightened them with the car in the air maybe try and tighten them on the ground? Im positive the strut bearing rests on a flat spot on the strut. so it cant go down any farther. Im fucking lost.

This is the front strut mount/bearing
http://www.germanautoparts.com/images/7607a6e22413333383934303b413/f

This is a stock front strut
http://www.germanautoparts.com/images/7607a6e2331303131333/f

One bolt holds the strut to the bearing three bolts hold it to the car.

yeah try tightening the center nut on the top mount to spec with the car on the ground.

are you saying you do not believe the spring will compress any with the car being on the ground vs in the air… i think it will actually. give that a try

or

you had to use spring compressors to put the top mount on right? perhaps they were not compressed enough when you put the assembly together? not sure if thats even possible.

did you compress the spring, tighten top mount center nut to spec, and then uncompress the spring? when you first assmbled them? I guess there is no other way to do it.

I didnt have to compress the new springs at all due to how low i set the ride height. I assemble everything off the car without the use of spring compressors. i thought about covering the entire spring in moly-graphite lubricant. to see if that works.

mine had a problem with the helper springs in place, do the mk5 setups have them?

I had a similar issue with some old teins that retained the stock strut mounts, it ended up that the shock shaft was binding on the strot mount and not allowing the bearing to actually be used, a couple of washers cured it.

These were designed without helper springs.

Where did you put the washers?