Coilovers are preloading?

i read couple of post, and they dealing with the pillowmounts, my problem is the clanking sound due to the springs, i took the tires off and was moving the wheel around and noticed the spring preloads, almost like it wants to pop out. Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

What happened on my real coilovers is when I was preloading them, the spring got twisted so it made weird noises all the time. I un-preloaded, re-preloaded and it was fine.

interesting, so i should try putting them on again u say.

Just a guess, but are you running D2’s? I have s similar noise, seems to be the dr.front only though?

I’m a bit confused …

There’s a clank from the spring?

It sounds like when you move your wheels (as in turn the steering wheel side to side) the spring tries to climb out of the collar on the bottom?

It sounds to me like the spring never seated properly. Usually the spring will “settle” after a bit of driving. It makes a scary clunk, and the car can drop an extra inch or more.

I’d do as suggested above. Remove the entire assembly, and see if you can align it better before putting it on the car.

Is it possible the springs are upside down? What kind of coilovers are they?

If I’m not understanding

this happend to me, and i solved the problem by simply taking the strut out and re-installed it. it just wasnt sitting properly, it so happens that the spring settles a bit after driving on it as stated above…re install the coilover and i guarantee that you wont hear this noise any more.

LoL, these coilovers were on the car when i bought the car, i m not even sure wat they are, the previous owner claims their eibach’s but i beg to differ.

Yeah, Eibach doesn’t make coilovers.

They could be Eibach lowering springs.

Are you sure you have coilovers?

Are you sure about that?

http://eibach.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.exe/05203.2.1881341898800008823

sorry …

Eibach doesn’t make coilovers for 240sx’s

But yes, they do make coilovers.

Ah, good point.