coilover clunk sound!

Just installed coils on the rear of my car a couple hours ago…

Everything lines up , fit in perfect.

All bolts are tightened. I lubed the shit out of everything

On the right rear side whenever it goes over bumps it goes clunk clunk clunk…

Its not blown , everything is tight…

the height isnt balanced out equally yet… But I’m just curious what the problem could be.

coilovers: d2’s new

Pillow mounts make clunking sounds, you have them in the back? Also, if the spring is twisted from pre loading it makes noise, happened to me.

Check the top mounting bolts - They may appear tight, but are actually loose…

Also, if your spring is too short (or not enough load) it’s possible that on bumps (when your shock expands), your spring will “un-seat” off it’s perch causing a “clunk” when you land and the spring “seats” - This can be sometimes be fixed by lowering the vehicle more so the spring is more compressed… OR if this is the case, you can get one of those flat wire “coil-spring seating” springs - NOT to be confused with a helper spring that adds extra rate.
Eibach and Afco make these.

But Im pretty sure its something simple like height adjustment.

I have the same problem with my Stance coilovers. The rear pillow balls (mostly the right side) make that “clunking” sound over bumps. It’s more noticeable at low speeds since the slop becomes more apparant.

You’d know the difference between pillowball noise and an unseated spring…if your spring is unseated it’s more of a violent “clank/boing/rattle” kind of sound whereas pillowball noise sounds more like a faint knocking from the rear upper mount.

From what I’ve learned it’s a fairly common problem to experience this noise.

^^ is there any way to reduce the noise? and is this caused because the pillow balls for your stance coilovers are more “solid”?

and what is the point in having a more solid pillow balls?

just curious since we’re on topic.

you CANT use D2’s in the cold

the seals fail and you blow dampers, and they are not covered under warantee when you use them like this

take them off hope they arent blown and if they are lesson learnt get good suspension

and the momst likly winner is:

this is the most possible outcome, but other experiences other than this that i have experienced with d2’s are the springs like to rotate and loosen the collars causing clunking on the front, and lack of preload causes clunking in the rear.

Bottom line, get them off your car now, or you will regret it, they are not a quality coilover and blow easily.

Pillowball mounts are solid. Basically a ball and socket connection held in place by an upper and lower collar. Since it’s two solid objects if there’s any play between the ball and the ball case then there’s going to be a “clunk” as it moves around. I know guys running Teins that have this problem so it’s not limited to budget coilovers like D2’s.

BTW, has anyone ever inquired on the temperature limits on Stance? Not that I plan on driving them in zub zero weather but it would be good to know.

if they are d2’s you have the d2 clunk, its the shock

it means its too cold out to use, you have about a week of driving below -5 before they blow. it helps if you park it inside at night

as soon as it warms up the clunk will be gone.

i drove my d2s all winter last year and they clunked, when it warmed up it stopped clunking

but its not worth it to risk it ive seen some very bad clunky d2’s on bings old coupe in the winter, car was unstable

yeah im going through that again on the beater hatch…