School Bus drivers in the city...

Are starting to piss me off. When I first moved into the city, I would stop for any bus with it’s yellow lights flashing.

However, on a number of occasions, they would pull over with the yellow lights flashing and just sit there, and traffic behind me would honk and start driving around me. So I’d just drive through. No big deal, it’s like going through a yellow light. Now i see it all the time, a school bus will be pulled over on the side of the road with it’s yellow lights flashing. I will see this from BLOCKS away.

Recently, twice in as many days, as I am passing the rear of the school bus w/ the yellow lights flashing, they turned on the red lights. One time i probably could have stopped, but only a total panic stop. The second time there was no way. However, both times the driver lit up the horn.

It’s just frustrating to me because it’s like dealing with an intersection with a varying yellow light time of 4 seconds to 4 minutes. Do you stop and stare at the yellow light for 2 minutes? Do you risk running a red because it’s been yellow already for a minute?

I feel like if a bus is pulled over waiting for someone to come out, they should put on their hazards or something, then the yellow prior to children boarding, then the red lights during boarding.

Does anyone else ever notice this? (always on Bailey, BTW)

Why am I not surprised in Buffalo Schools?
They can’t even get their busing right. LMAO.

The lights turn red when they open the doors. If it’s cold, and they’re waiting for some snot-nosed punk to walk with daddy up the sidewalk, they’re going to be there with the yellows on for as long as it takes.

I grew up in the country, so I’m not sure how it’s different in the city (I’m sure it is), but my bus drivers would pull up with the yellows on, and if nobody was there, honk twice, and if there was nobody RUNNING to get to the bus, they’d turn them off and move on.

That’s what they SHOULD be doing, IMO. No way that people have to wait more than 30 seconds or so, and no motivation to go around the bus.

I loathe getting stuck behind busses.

isn’t the law that you only stop for red flashing lights?

Yeah, you can legally pass a bus w/ it’s yellows flashing, but if it’s pulled over waiting with them on while I am still a few blocks away, they might as well not turn them on at all and just go straight to red.

Funny you should ask, 24 years ago when I took my road test as luck would have it there was a school bus driving by with his yellow lights on and they changed to red right when I was going by. The lady told me I failed because I went through the red lights. I argued they were still yellow. The driver waited until I went by to turn them on but he should/could have waited another .01 seconds.

Out here in the sticks they use their hazard lights not their yellow lights if they want you to pass.
Buffalo = :picard:

WTF is up with dropping kids off at each and every house? I was stuck behind a bus on eggert near main once and they literally stopped at each house

You’ve identified the problem. I always avoid Bailey like the plague. Drivers on Bailey are awful. The street itself is also a complete mess of potholes.

Conclusion: Avoid Bailey and your life will be better for it.

seriously. the little fucks can walk 20 feet to the corner.

Bailey was repaved and is totally pothole free. But they should have paved it with the local population.

I just got a ticket for passing a METO BUS, with it’s flashers on. I approached it, made a complete stop, started the pass where there was a dotted yellow line, but just completed it at the start of a double yellow.

So after the cop comes back with the ticket I ask him what is everyone doing right now (pertaining to the cars passing us, since it was a 2 lane road with a now solid double yellow and we were blocking one lane and we were right after an intersection.) And he yells “That doesn’t matter, I pulled you over.” Can’t he just say “I’m just trying to get paid, life’s unfair.” I love how he made a much more dangerous situation, in the same context as the one he pulled me over for. How long do you wait, 15 minutes for a truck making a delivery on hertel?

Just in a relatable situation, so I thought I’d share.

What street did that happen on?

They stop at a house and wait? Wtf?
If I wasn’t outside freezing my ass off on the intersection where my bus stopped, it would just keep going. Not slow down, stop, or anything like that.
I wish my bus stopped outside my house, lmao.

amherst

I dont get why they stop at every house now. Did some kid get hit or something and they think making them walk less is better?

I was always dropped off and picked up at the corner of my street, even though me and my brothers were the only ones getting picked up for a 1/8 mile or so… Idiots.

Well, I’m not sure wtf they’re exactly waiting for. School busses are so crazy now. They all have assistants now who get off and help the kids cross. But i have seen the assistants go knock on doors to get kids from houses.

Crazy times.

This ALWAYS makes me want to go ballistic. When I was a kid we had a bus stop every 2-3 blocks. Now they stop at each house. Hrmmm wonder why kids are so fat and lazy these days. ARRRRRRRR

I live in the city to and the same fucking thing happens to me almost everyday on the way to work. Bullshit