School me on Subaru TPMS, 2015 WRX

A friend of mine just picked up a 2015 WRX and ordered a set of winter rims/tires from Tirerack complete with what Tirerack said was the right TMPS sensors. Put the winter tires on yesterday and of course the TPMS light is now on.

What does he need to do to program them to the car?

Will it have to be done every time he swaps between winter and summer tires?

From what I’ve read it looks like the system isn’t smart enough to store 2 sets of TPMS which seems really stupid to me.

I do believe it will have to be reset. Someone here as to work/know someone at a dealership to do it for free. I do believe it will have to be done seasonally, unfortunately.

… and yes, it’s stupid as fuck.

Yeah the TPMS needs to be reset. Some tire shops may have the equipment to do it. I would try to make a few calls to larger chains that are more likely to have the computers for that.

If it was me, I would just monitor the tire pressure manually through the winter. Major hassle for little gain. The TPMS system in my civic has been broken for years now. Other than the annoying light it’s no big deal to me. Has no implications with inspections either (at least in NC).

Yeah, I’d do the same (ignore it) but I think with it being a brand new car it’s just bugging him that he’s got a warning light staring him in the face.

If I had a brand new WRX i’d march right back down to the dealership and have them reset it for free. On a new car I would never want to stare at that light.

Still, i’d monitor it in the winter. People are too stupid to realize that the sensor only comes on when VERY low. You should check TP every time you gas up in the winter months.

Yeah, I told him the dealer might do it as a courtesy this time.

Not sure about other cars but I know on our Murano the light comes on when they fall below 31psi. I was surprised how little drop it took to set the alarm.

My old (09) legacy would pop on if it got SUPER low. I got lax one time and neglected to check it. Light popped on, it was like 21 PSI. oops.

anyone know if this is the case for newer dodges as well?

getting a second set of wheels in spring. not only will the light come on, but it dings every so often when it is on. a ~5 psi difference will trigger it.

I know on my Sierra I can reset them myself by initiating the re learn procedure on the information center and then just dropping the pressure until it beeps the horn at me signaling that it learned the sensor

As long as you use the right sensor dodges will calibrate themselves. If he doesn’t want to take to the dealer he can run it over to me in cheektowaga. The snapon tpms tool I have will program them

just bought a 2015 subaru and I took out the sensors from the stock wheels. just going to deal with the light in the winter and put the tpms sensors on the summer wheels. the light really isnt that bad to live with

I own a 2015 wrx, I had mavis put winter tires on my car and they reset the TPMS for free no issues what so ever