Science Fights Global Warming With Enzymes?

While I do agree that we humans are playing a roll in the warming of the earth I’m still not 100% sure that we are the sole part of it. Part of me believes the earth is just going threw a normal warming cycle that is enhanced by us. I guess I just want to see more solid research instead of just theories.

true! And the weather guy (channel 4, about a week ago) said that lake Erie was supposed to hit 80 degrees this summer. It’s only happened once before (in recorded history anyway) and that was 20-some-odd years ago.

^ hey. he was being sarcastic with that post.

and no, it is NOT possible that we had nothing to do with it.
there are 100s of thousands of pages of data that say have everything to do with the earth warming, the more extreme weather, glaciers melting, ocean levels rising… all in this short period of time. IT’S US. IT’S HUMANS. Take some fucking responsibility and get informed.

you must understand that it’s not a theory anymore. go read some books.

whoa…no need to get all bent out of shape, doc. I meant this round of warming. it has happened before, it will happen again, and again, and again it seems. Maybe we have part of it, maybe we don’t. But I have seen stats that emissions from cars today total to only less than half of what they were 30 years ago, and there are more cars on the road now than ever before. So we are reducing our part of the destruction of the environment.

but IMO, who cares?! I LOVE the hot weather! I was just too poor to move down south.

It’s not a matter of if the warming goes through cyclical change or not, it is a matter of the rate of change.

It is a rate that plants and animals can not adapt to. For example the hunting season for polar bears has been shorted by 3 months. Fur trees in Alaska have sucumbed to insects that could not live in colder climates, stripping thousands of acres of trees.

No, according to the Kyoto agreement developing countries such as China are allowed to have INCREASED emissions. And they will contribute more and more.

maybe the stats I saw was just for America…idk

so it’s warming just because we are getting closer to the sun? Sweet.

lol at the comic

As far as a cyclical warming/cooling trend, I totally believe it.

It is the rate at which it is occurring and also the level to which we are warming.

There has never been an instance in the earth’s history that the polar ice caps have been so small, and never have they retreated at such a rate

my personal opinion is that they are scared of G.W. and are running as far away as possible :stuck_out_tongue:

(of course i dont really think that just needed to lightened the thread :slight_smile: )

we should just sprinkle salt on the caps and just be done with it. no more questiions of what will happen.

Global Warming is a theory, not a proven fact. It cannot be proven. We have no idea what normal short-term (less than a few thousand years) climate change is. Humans have only had thermal measuring equipment since the 1800’s. 150 years of data relative to 10,000+ year climate cycles is hardly enough to draw conclusions.

Given that we’re 18,000 years into the interglacial Holocene period I’d be more worried about mankind surviving the next 100,000 year ice age than worrying about a 3*C rise over the last 100 years. (Interglacial periods typically only last 15,000 to 20,000 years.)

The reason for ice ages is typically attributed to the 100,000 year cycle of variation of the Earth’s elliptical orbit. There is also a 41,000 year cycle of the wobble of the Earth’s rotation.

Yeah, the Earth’s warmed quickly recently. But mankind’s burning of fossil fuels for 100 years seems kind of insignificant compared to all the other forces at work in the true cyclical climate changes.

By that theory a signle Volcano would have no effect on the climate either. A single volcano seems kind of insiginifigant compared to all the other forces at work in the true cyclical climate changes.

I guess they needed modern “thermal measuring equipment” to tell them it is snowing in July in New England.

Yes, but they take ice samples from glaciers dating back thousands and thousands of years. Then, they study the amount of co2 in each sample. The ice showed the normal rises and declines of the levels of co2. NEVER have the levels of co2 been as high as they are right now.

How can you possibly think this? Look at ANY industrial plant and check out the smokestacks. How many of these smokestacks do you think are pouring out thousands and thousands of tons of co2 everyday? So, now we have the earths typical “forces at work”, PLUS all of the shit we are pouring out into the atmosphere every day.

The average American household puts out about 1 million tons of co2 per year. You’d have to be pretty retarded to think we are NOT having an effect on global warming.

teee hee… i love firing up these threads

Do You know YOUR carbon footprint?

Do you even understand how co2 causes global warming?

When the suns rays hit the earth, a lot of them are reflected back out to space, but some are trapped in the atmosphere. Co2 is what traps it. That is global warming happening naturally.

Do you think the co2 we produce just disappears? The co2 emitted from the first vehicles ever rolled off the line, are STILL floating around in our atmosphere, trapping the suns rays. That co2 will be around for 100’s of years, maybe a few thousand. Another thing a lot of people don’t contribute to global warming is the reduction of rain forests. The trees are what take in co2 and give us oxygen. With more and more trees being cut down, that means less co2 is being converted into oxygen and therefore stays in the atmosphere.
http://www.interet-general.info/IMG/US-Los-Angeles-Smog-1-2.jpg
“Smog
is a kind of air pollution — the name is a portmanteau of smoke and fog. Classic smog results from large amounts of coal burning in an area and is caused by a mixture of smoke and sulphur dioxide.”

Yeah, we aren’t doing anything to increase the rate of GW, :lol:

Stop your crying Chris.

co2 levels are only the highests it’s been in 600,000 years. Our weather won’t be adapted to current co2 levels until at the earliest the end of this century with a 2.4 - 10 *F raise in tempuratures. Like you said it won’t disipate for 100s to 1000s of years from now. Ice sheets on both poles and all the glacier ice from Peru and Greenland will disapear and thousands of species of plants and animals will become extinct within our lifetime.

Besides the United States produces the largest amount of co2 in the world and it has INCREASED in the last decade by 6%.

What’s the big deal?

every time i watch brokaw’s special, I re-bump this thread. haha

I caught bits and peices of it before, but I sat down and watched the whole thing Saturday night.

If all the evidence is correct we are so fucked, it’s not even funny. We are already past the point of no return. Everybody could go and plant a tree, drive an electric car, ans use natural energy sources for electricity and still not be able to reverse co2 levels for at the very least a century.

Quoted For Truthfullness

That’s truthiness :roll:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truthiness

Besides it needs no truthiness what so ever because I am basing it on …